Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Perhaps it's time we have our laws reflect some of our more common sense and traditional practices



It's been a while since I've written a blog post. Much has transpired in BC politics since, and I am usually one to write about my thoughts on the topic. Especially now, as we have an unholy union on the left and no voice what-so-ever on the right.

Let me ask you a question. Honestly, do you think that the BC Liberals can elect a leader who can bring the common sense conservative base back to the coalition? Or will the BC Conservatives, I mean ... and I beg your new brandings pardon... the Conservatives of BC, do it instead?

Well that topic is already depressing me, so I am going to go over to the medicine cabinet, pour a drink, and read the Vancouver Sun.

Could it get worse?  Well look at that.  What did I find, you ask?

Just look at how we protest and make things happen,
beer in hand, compared to the rest of the world.
“Beer on the Beach: Vancouverites plan to protest liquor laws by drinking at English Bay”

Despite the madness at the legislature these days, I think British Columbians are starting to renew my faith in humanity. Just look at how we protest and make things happen – beer in hand - compared to the rest of the world.

Just for the fun of it, lets do a quick comparison with our neighbours to the south, shall we.

While Americans are talking about building walls, BC can't help themselves but open up new bridges. While Americans are beating the hell out of each other in political protests, British Columbians protest our own crazy laws by walking down to the beach with their six pack's and beer bellies to demonstrate the unthinkable, the cracking open a cold one in public.

Whatever your take on some of these laws, you have to admit we have a better handle on our protests and can generally tap our politicians for things in ways most other jurisdictions haven't figured out.


As for my personal opinion on the distribution and consumption of alcohol. Doesn't it seem like the laws and social practices around the consumption of alcohol and tobacco are as loopy as the design on a tie-died t-shirt? I know not everyone will agree with me on 100% of what I write next, but I know 100% of you will agree with some of what I write next.

So, with a shot of my Pemberton Valley single malt whisky, let me attempt to interject a bit of common sense to this, 'The dilemma of libations', we find ourselves a-fix in.

First of all. Do us all a favour, (whether the BC Liberals made it law or not) keep your kids out of the bars, eh? There are some places that should be “kids free” and bars are one of them. If I wanted to sit down with a beer and relax with my kids, I'd do that at the beach, right?!

Secondly, we are Canadians, whether at home or at the beach, we like our beer like we like our women, strong and uninhibited. Perhaps it's time we have our laws reflect some of our more common sense and traditional practices, like enjoying a cold one with friends and nature.

I know what some of you will say, "If we allow open alcohol on the beach, it will get out of control!"

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's a practice that has been going on since the invention of beer cozies and coffee cups ... you didn't really think they were drinking that much coffee at the beach did you? BTW I think our police resources could best be spent in other areas too, don't you?   

For those who do like to have their vices a bit more controlled and confined, with much respect then I simply ask for the ability to partake occasionally at a very private cigar and whisky lounge.  Heaven forbid we allow such a thing! Right?!

But before you get all up in arms on why we could never allow a cigar and whisky lounge, with your case by case description of all the negative effects of nicotine, and the rules and regulations of smoking in the work place ... and so on and so fourth.

Do us all a favour. Keep your weed away from my kids while they are playing at the park, OK?


BEN BESLER is active in provincial politics and a card carrying BC Liberal.  Ben is a former Vice President of the BC Conservative Party, and Regional Organizer for the successful Fight HST citizens initiative.

Comments

  1. One of the first precepts of law is that is is supposed to reflect the morality of the community in which it's going to be enforced.
    That being said, many of our laws are outdated and should be repealed or modified but they should still be based on morality, not immorality such as the open consumption of alcohol and the public use of other mood altering chemicals.
    We have legalized gambling on a massive scale. We are in the process of total liberalization of drinking laws and the legalization of drugs.
    We also might soon be dispensing free opioid drugs to addicts and providing them with a safe, comfortable place to carry out their activities.
    None of these things include even the least consideration of morality but nobody has a strong enough voice to halt this march into madness.
    Before anybody accuses me of trying to stuff religion down their throats, the only time I have been inside any church for decades is to attend funerals and a couple of weddings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Selina Robinson: "You broke my heart . . ." (The Real Story)

The mildly Zionist, innocuously leftish and now ousted advanced education minister’s letter to her New Democratic Party caucus colleagues, explaining why she has resigned the caucus to sit as an independent. The letter is an historic document, an artifact of the disgraceful cultural moment we’re living through. It’s important. It’s also a scorcher. It’s gathering a heck of a lot of attention . I’m printing it in full here. I’ve been insisting that what happened to Robinson is a much bigger deal and a completely different story than the one we’d all been led to believe. The necessary background: My piece in the National Post: The despicable untruths behind Selina Robinson's political lynching . More importantly , a Real Story investigation: The Problem With The Selina Robinson Story. . . It wasn't true. What follows is the story of what really happened. Let’s just get into it. Apart from punctuation and spelling I replicate the letter faithfully, with some further comm

Long-time former BC Liberal supporter says, I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United

                              BC United leader Kevin Falcon I recently asked a political acquaintance of mine, about their current involvement with BC United.   I was much surprised with the response given the BC Liberals had been the recipient of a lot of their time and energy in the past. By request, their comments are posted anonymously : I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United. Kevin’s poor judgement in ousting John Rustad from Caucus, and then publicly humiliating him, might be the most inept thing I have seen in BC politics ... and I’ve been involved in BC politics for a number of years! I still think the impetus was John‘s involvement in the Ellis Ross leadership campaign for the BC Liberal Party, and how successful and respected (despite not winning) it was. I am uncertain about the tenor of the current Conservative movement in North America. The once proud Republican Party in the United States has allowed itself to be led by a person who is morally, intell

Labels

Show more