Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

The full conversation came from a position of providing colour to the street, and naturally to a special event like the parade


Is hypocrisy alive and well, regarding the LGBTQ community, in what people say and do in public, and then when they think no one is looking or over-hearing them?

It probably is, however in a case I believed to be accurate, it appears I was greatly mistaken.  More on that in a moment.

This Sunday (August 26th), the Second Annual Kamloops Pride Parade will be
held downtown.  Kam Pride asked businesses to use their storefronts to help encourage and promote Pride Week and the Parade.  The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association also asked their members to support the initiative, through an email which was sent to members on August 1st. 

A fun event – and fun initiative – and there are even awards being given out to the top three displays, as chosen by a group of judges, and based on the creativity, execution and impact of the display.

So where does the hypocrisy enter into this?

Well an individual whom I know and respect let me know about a conversation they overheard downtown on Wednesday morning.  In the conversation thought they overheard an individual say it was a shame they couldn’t use water guns to spray parade participants – and hit them with balloons that had dye in them.

That, to me, in this day and age, is disgusting… and if true, would be hypocritical given their participation in this year’s event.

I brought this up with Carl DeSantis, Executive Director of the Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association, to ask for comment, which he did.  He responded by first saying:

The Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association (KCBIA) supports diversity and inclusivity.  Our business community looks forward to PRIDE celebrations scheduled for this weekend in the downtown area.  In recognition of the PRIDE parade, various businesses have created celebratory window displays and activities.”

 He went on to say, “The comment that was overheard was part of a much larger discussion regarding the possibility of introducing water filled, colored balloons that would represent the rainbow (which is the PRIDE logo).  PRIDE parades are known to be vibrant, exciting, and full of energy.”




The full conversation came from a position of providing colour to the street and naturally to a special event like the parade, and was never intended to be a malicious act. It is unfortunate that the conversation was taken in a different light, and that the source was not able to hear the entire conversation from the beginning.”

I am glad that I took the time to bring this up with Carl, and the Kamloops Central BIA, because this is not what the majority of people in Kamloops would ever wish to see happen.  That said, negative speak and actions far to often are what those in the LGBTQ community deal with each and every day. 

Despite that, Sam Numsen of Kamloops Pride informed me, “We did chat with Carl from the KCBIA, and we are confident that any comments overheard were purely misunderstood or taken out of context in this situation. We've had
We may look different on the outside,
but inside we are all the same
nothing but support from the KCBIA and the business community, especially those who have taken the time to put up displays! We also visited each business last year before the parade to share what we were doing, our plans, and virtually all business owners were incredibly supportive
.


And so, I say, kudos to the Kamloops
Central Business Association for supporting Kam Pride, and the Kam Pride Parade.

In Kamloops, I’m Alan Forseth, and the floors now yours to share your thoughts.  I’m sure that I will hear some from the conservative friends, who will be surprised by what I’ve had to say, however we are all deserving of respect.

Comments

  1. Timely blog piece. It shows how quickly things can get blown out of proportion. Good on you for fact checking..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely there are more important things to write on than this Alan! The description of a pride parade by the Business community spokesman is laughable. Pride parades are nothing but an easy way for people to take part in vulgar displays of sexuality that would have been offences against the nudity and obscenity laws a few years ago. Would you take your grandchildren to see one? I certainly hope not. Is this also part of the distancing of the BC Conservatives from their previous stand against the evil S0GI sex curriculum that is in our schools? Makes me wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Important, more important, not important ... all in the eye of the beholder. I did not take a stance on SOGI in this article, however I will say that I personally believe that sex - ed programs in our schools need more parental involvement in curriculum -- and that fits with the BC Conservatives policy of more parental involvement in education. I have friends and acquaintances in the LGBTQ community, and within my own extended family, (as there are I am certain in others) there are people who identify as LGBTQ. I mean no disrespect Reed -- as a Minister I know you can quote circles around me with verses from the Bible against those who are gay. Any time however, I butt my head against something that doesn't square with 'some' things the Bible says, I just tell myself that it's not up to me, it is up to my Father.

      Let me just say that we are not 'accepted' as children of God because of anything we have done (works), because we are qualified (we've done all the right things), or we are acceptable (we are sinless). We just ask (as I did in the pits of alcoholism) to have Him in our life.

      It's taken me a long time to move from being judgemental -- I'm not perfect, nor is anyone else. Thank goodness God understands this, and accepts us anyway.

      Delete
  3. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. Colour Consultation Kelowna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Labels

Show more