Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- Sonia is as strong and wise as her mother, and I am honoured to officially pass the leadership of the BC Greens to her


 

I have an interesting story about Sonia Furstenau, Jan Carroll, Emily and Adam Olsen.

In 2006 Emily and I were planning our mid-August wedding. I was given one important job - secure the person who would officiate.

Part of the reason I had such a minimal workload for the wedding was that I was also the communications manager for Aboriginal Team BC heading off to the 2006 North American Indigenous Games in Denver, CO.

While I’m proud of the job I did to gain exposure for the hundreds of Indigenous youth athletes in 15 individual and team sports from all corners of our incredible province, I am less pleased with my lack of success securing the official to officiate our marriage. (Wow! I am throwing some serious shade on myself here.) I guess I thought I could get someone for the second Saturday in August after I got back from the games in the middle of July (of the same year.)

As you likely quickly recognized all the wedding officials were officially booked. It is quite likely most of the officials were booked by mid-July of the year before.

No surprise that there were no official officials to officiate our wedding and we had 250 friends and relatives ready to celebrate. They were ready because every other part of our big day was effectively planned by Emily.

We needed an official on short notice so by mid-July even an unofficial official would suffice. That is when Emily and I turned to Jan Carroll.

We didn’t know at the time that Sonia Furstenau was Jan Carroll’s daughter, but we did quite like Jan and felt that she would do a great job convincing our family and friends on our very biggest day that they were attending a real wedding meeting the expectations of the Province of British Columbia.

Jan dispensed her job beautifully. Despite almost backing off the bluff and into the Saanich Inlet - saved by one my uncles I think - the service was perfect.

As a result of my procrastination Emily and I now have three anniversaries. The early spring day we met, the mid-August day Jan "married" us, and the late fall day we actually met the official standards of our great province.

It was from Jan that Emily and I received the powerful advice that has become a critical part of the success of our relationship.

She told us that the secret of a successful marriage is to always remember that “one cooks and the other does the dishes.” Ever since, this simple principle has played out in a variety of ways - many that have nothing to do with the kitchen.

Eleven years later I was elected to the British Columbia legislature alongside Jan's daughter, Sonia Furstenau. I have worked closely with Sonia ever since. We have stood together on the top of the mountain and at the bottom of the valley.

Sonia is as strong and wise as her mother and I am honoured to officially pass the leadership of the BC Greens to her.

One thing I know for sure from many hours sitting at the table with Sonia is that she truly has the interest of British Columbians at the heart of her work.
 

Sonia is a powerful advocate; she has a fierce determination to ensure that the legislature in Victoria is the home of governance and not a platform for partisans.

I look forward to continuing to work with Sonia on behalf of our constituents and all our province.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Labels

Show more