Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ELLIS ROSS – That isn’t real experience. That’s called politics. Let me draw on my own life to tell you what I believe real experience means ...

It’s been said by some in the political establishment that I don’t have sufficient “experience” to lead our party. A few weeks back, another leadership candidate said a similar thing about my “education.”

 

But it got me thinking, what do they mean by “experience?” Here’s the truth…


I’ll always lose a debate about which candidate has spent the most taxpayers’ money over the course of their political career.

 

But to me, that isn’t real experience. That’s called politics. Let me draw on my own life to tell you what I believe real experience means…

 

I helped bring the largest-ever private sector investment in Canadian history to our province in the form of LNG-Canada. The royalties helped lift my community out of poverty, enabling a new generation of leaders and entrepreneurs to take charge of their destiny. Plus, those royalties continue to fund our hospitals, schools, and roads today.

 

But that’s not all. As a First Nations leader, I’ve had to help my people overcome poverty, addictions, and violence. I’ve seen things that I will never be able to forget – no matter how long I live.

 

It’s time for the political establishment to acknowledge the truth, which is that First Nations leadership roles are just as important as other forms of political leadership, especially when issues around social welfare, environmental stewardship, and responsible resource development are involved.

 

For me, experience also means knowing how to connect with everyday people and channel their hopes, dreams, and aspirations – not just being a household name among a small circle of political elite.

 

I’ve been a logger, a labourer, a small businessperson, and, yes, I lived through periods of unemployment – like a lot of British Columbians. I know what it’s like to get your hands dirty, to navigate a crawl space, and to gulp down two-day-old coffee on a job site.

 

Those experiences are some of my most valuable – and helped shape the man I am today. I’m fortunate to have lived these experiences.


But, before I wrap up, let me tell you about the experience I’m most proud of. And that’s the experience that comes from being a father and grandfather.

 

I’m running for BC Liberal leader because I want my kids and grand-kids to enjoy opportunities that were never available to me or my wife. And I want the same for your loved ones.

 

I want the children of BC to live to their highest potential and be whatever they want to be.

 

I just want them to have the opportunity to do it here – at home. And yes, I do believe I have the experience to make that happen.



Ellis Ross ... BC Liberal leadership candidate and MLA for Skeena

 

 

P.S. Spending taxpayers’ money is easy; bringing in the investment needed to fill those coffers is hard. If you’re looking for a candidate who with a long history of spending billions of tax dollars, I might not be your first choice, and I accept that. But if you’re looking for a Premier with a plan to grow our economy, lift communities out of poverty, and give the next generation of British Columbians the gift of opportunity, I believe I’m your best choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Selina Robinson: "You broke my heart . . ." (The Real Story)

The mildly Zionist, innocuously leftish and now ousted advanced education minister’s letter to her New Democratic Party caucus colleagues, explaining why she has resigned the caucus to sit as an independent. The letter is an historic document, an artifact of the disgraceful cultural moment we’re living through. It’s important. It’s also a scorcher. It’s gathering a heck of a lot of attention . I’m printing it in full here. I’ve been insisting that what happened to Robinson is a much bigger deal and a completely different story than the one we’d all been led to believe. The necessary background: My piece in the National Post: The despicable untruths behind Selina Robinson's political lynching . More importantly , a Real Story investigation: The Problem With The Selina Robinson Story. . . It wasn't true. What follows is the story of what really happened. Let’s just get into it. Apart from punctuation and spelling I replicate the letter faithfully, with some further comm

Long-time former BC Liberal supporter says, I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United

                              BC United leader Kevin Falcon I recently asked a political acquaintance of mine, about their current involvement with BC United.   I was much surprised with the response given the BC Liberals had been the recipient of a lot of their time and energy in the past. By request, their comments are posted anonymously : I am definitely not hanging in there with BC United. Kevin’s poor judgement in ousting John Rustad from Caucus, and then publicly humiliating him, might be the most inept thing I have seen in BC politics ... and I’ve been involved in BC politics for a number of years! I still think the impetus was John‘s involvement in the Ellis Ross leadership campaign for the BC Liberal Party, and how successful and respected (despite not winning) it was. I am uncertain about the tenor of the current Conservative movement in North America. The once proud Republican Party in the United States has allowed itself to be led by a person who is morally, intell

Labels

Show more