Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Canada needs to implement sensible and pragmatic policies that build society up, instead of tearing it down

  

If you really want something in life, and I mean you really want it
deep down inside and you have a strong-enough reason you absolutely
must achieve it, faith is the thing that helps you to see that through.

It’s at the core of a persistent heart. Never give up on your hopes and
your dreams just because you faced some initial setbacks.

Lean on your faith as often as possible and you’ll soon come
to realize why having unwavering faith is so important in life.

 ~~ Robert Kanaat

 

 

For over a year now I have been following an organization that started out as the Centre Ice Conservatives, and which then morphed into the Centre Ice Canadians.

 

Speaking for myself, I feel extremely disillusioned with options available to me in terms of federal political parties. I have no appetite for Capitol "L" liberalism as now espoused by Justin Trudeau's Liberals ... who are being propped up by the NDP, and I personally do not want government in every aspect of my life, and legislating decisions that make it harder and harder to get by.

 

And sadly, the Conservative Party which I have supported ever since the Progressive Conservatives and Reform Party (of which I had been a member from the start) seems to be drifting more and more into extremes I am not interested in.  As what I call a 'fiscal conservative with a social conscience', Pierre Poilievre has taken the party further away from what it meant, for me at least, to be a conservative.

 

So, what's left? Where does a small 'c' conservative, that is feeling adrift, go?

 

Remember the old saying, “A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step”?

 


A definition of that, which I read today, says if an initiative is taken, the rest of the venture falls into place, and the mission starts. It also means that a voyage marked as a milestone starts with a single step.

 

I’ve already spoken with several people about this initiative, and as expected some have said it can’t be done ... it’s not worth doing ... it won’t work ... why bother. 

 

“Yes” some have dreamed of creating or building something, and many times it just doesn’t work.  That happens for many reasons, including the time just not being right.

Sometimes, however the time is just right ... and it’s just what is needed.

 

This, I believe, is one of those moments when I feel the time IS right ... and it’s why I am willing to see and hear more about how the Centre Ice Canadians want to change how we do politics.

 

I couldn’t feel more in tune with this statement from them:

 

Canadians feel disconnected from their leaders and their institutions. Populists on the right and on the left ask important questions but propose dangerous, self-serving and unworkable answers. Social media further amplifies public anxiety and rage, driving a politics that is increasingly angry and extreme.

 

The solution:

 

Canada needs to implement sensible and pragmatic policies that build society up, instead of tearing it down.

 

And it’s also why I believe people are ready to seriously consider a new choice and option. An option that will draw from the best ideas ... no matter where they come from on the political spectrum.

 

If you haven’t already, I would like to encourage you to pay a visit to their website and see what the Centre Ice Canadians are all about.

 

Once you do, please let me know what you think, and if you'd be interested in helping get this movement off the ground.  I certainly feel it has potential, and is worth exploring --- I hope you will as well.

 

The other day Dominic Cardy (Chair of the Advisory Board and an independent MLA in New Brunswick) sent me the following in an email:

 

Many of you have told us that you’d like to learn more about our plans for a potential new federal political party – what it would look like, what decisions have already been made, and the work that needs to be done to get us from here to there.

 

To that end, they'll be holding an online session, the evening of June 8th, to get that conversation started.  If you're interested in taking part, let me know, and I'll provide a link for you to sign up to attend.

 

Thanks for your consideration ... and I look forward to hearing from you.  Feel free to email me at:  whatsnextbc@gmail.com.



And that's it for today. I'm Alan Forseth, and I hope the week ahead is a good one for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Baldrey: 2024 meets 1991? How B.C. election history could repeat itself (Times Colonist)

NOTE ... not the original image from Keith Baldrey's op/ed 1991 BC general election -- Wikipedia   A veteran NDP cabinet minister stopped me in the legislature hallway last week and revealed what he thinks is the biggest vulnerability facing his government in the fall provincial election. It’s not housing, health care, affordability or any of the other hot button issues identified by pollsters. "I think we are way too complacent,” he told me. “Too many people on our side think winning elections are easy.” He referenced the 1991 election campaign as something that could repeat itself. What was supposed to be an easy NDP victory then almost turned into an upset win for the fledgling BC Liberal Party. Indeed, the parallels between that campaign and the coming fall contest are striking ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more