Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

STEPHEN WOODWORTH: I’d be busy arresting and jailing people all day long if it was made illegal to lie for political purposes!



Here’s a reply I composed to someone who proposes putting politicians in jail when they do things he doesn’t approve of:

 
I don’t know where you live but in my country, Canada, my political opponents do many of the things you describe or that I consider to be unjust, uncharitable, or deceitful. Because defending my country’s democratic way of life is so very important, I’m going to describe it to you in greater detail than we usually do on FaceBook.

Except for corruption, fraud and theft in my country all the other things you describe are not prohibited by law.

Also, my political opponents are supported by, and include, about 30% of the population who agree with their policies on the issues you mention. We would have to build a lot more jails to hold them if we criminalized their political choices.

In my country if I wanted to make their objectionable conduct subject to jailing, I would first have to pass a law prohibiting it. We have what is called “rule of law,” by which we mean, among other things, that if something isn’t specifically prohibited by law then it’s permitted. My political opponents want to do away with that, by the way.

To give just one example, for instance, not only is there no law prohibiting authorities from cracking down on protests but in fact there’s a law which *authorizes* them to crack down on protests. To make matters worse, that law contains no consequences for authorities who don’t follow its procedures and rules. I would have to first get my elected representatives to enact an amendment adding consequences. I can’t just make up my own rules and put them in prison. In my country, we call that “democracy.”

To use another case you mention, lying, I can’t tell you the number of times I wished it was illegal for my political opponents to lie! Every day on FaceBook one or more of my political opponents lie. My political opponents have lied in their political campaigns. They even lie in Parliament, and I couldn’t even get the Speaker to reprimand them for doing so the one time I tried!


The Speaker gave an explanation I found hard to swallow, even though I had no choice but to accept it, although I fully understand his reasoning. He said it’s not always easy to know when someone is lying so it’s up to the electorate to decide whether someone is lying, and their remedy is to put such people out of office, and it would limit free speech if one partisan or faction could punish another one just for saying something, even if it was inaccurate. So somehow I have to convince electors to throw the “bums” out of office. Democratic electoral remedies are a lot harder than just arresting people! 

Anyway, I’d be busy arresting and jailing people all day long if it was made illegal to lie for political purposes!

Even when something is illegal in my country, we have rules that limit how we respond, including things like due process, the requirement that the benefit of reasonable doubt be given to the accused, the need to prove guilty intent, and many others! So, on the previous example of lying, for instance, even if we made it illegal to lie for political purposes, we would still have to prove they actually knew what they were saying was a lie and they weren’t just deluded.

We’re aware that there are countries in the world where whoever gains power can get away with simply jailing anyone they disagree with, like Russia, China, North Korea, Cuba, Iran, and so on. We’ve made the decision that there are significant disadvantages to those systems, so we bend over backwards not to head in the other direction.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s some laws I’s like to see enacted to curb some political abuses! However, I have to do it the democratic way. Right now, public opinion in my country often seems to be going the other way, in non-democratic directions.

The irony is that even proposing non-democratic measures is legal in my country, and if my political opponents can convince enough people to support them, then that’s what will happen. The irony is that I can’t see any way to stop them except by democratic persuasion and elections, or I become just like them! As a wise man one said (paraphrasing), democracy has a lot of flaws but it’s still better than any other system of government.

If you’ve read this far, thank you for your patience and thank you for this dialogue! May all your good endeavours be blessed!
 
 
Stephen Woodworth ... was Member of Parliament for Kitchener Centre (Conservative) from 2008 to 2015, after having practised law in his riding for almost 30 years.

He studied Political Science at Wilfrid Laurier University for 2 years, followed by attaining his Bachelor of Laws from the University of Western Ontario. He served in local government as a School Trustee from 1994 to 2003. He is a lifelong community volunteer and political activist, and the Executive Director of The Democracy Defence Initiative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Baldrey: 2024 meets 1991? How B.C. election history could repeat itself (Times Colonist)

NOTE ... not the original image from Keith Baldrey's op/ed 1991 BC general election -- Wikipedia   A veteran NDP cabinet minister stopped me in the legislature hallway last week and revealed what he thinks is the biggest vulnerability facing his government in the fall provincial election. It’s not housing, health care, affordability or any of the other hot button issues identified by pollsters. "I think we are way too complacent,” he told me. “Too many people on our side think winning elections are easy.” He referenced the 1991 election campaign as something that could repeat itself. What was supposed to be an easy NDP victory then almost turned into an upset win for the fledgling BC Liberal Party. Indeed, the parallels between that campaign and the coming fall contest are striking ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more