Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Conservative BC MLA Bruce Banman -- There isn’t enough places to process and clean the contaminated soil, nor are there enough inspectors to catch those dumping

 

Yesterday, I came across a story in the Vancouver Sun headlined, “Illegal dumping increasing on BC farmland” – the story stated that it’s  against the law to dump construction material on land reserved for farming but its increasingly being used as a cheaper alternative to authorized sites, which can charge more than $1,000 a load.

Bruce Banman, is an MLA in the area (Conservative BC – Abbotsford South), so yesterday afternoon I sent him a text asking about the problem.  Here’s what he had to say:


This is a huge problem -- and has been for a while.

Abbotsford does have a few gravel pits near the airport which after extracting the aggregate, take loads of clean soil which is tested and recorded; it is all monitored. So far, it seems to be improving agricultural land.

This system helped lower illegal dumps, but for some reason it has ramped up again. For a while a few First Nations had dumps for this kind of stuff (and still do), but they have either filled up, or have stopped.

In the case of the farmer wanting to add clean topsoil, my understanding is the red tape is horrendous. Keep in mind when they get a chance to add clean soil to improve farmland it’s often a last-minute thing depending on the site it comes from. The system doesn’t respond well to last minute very well.

One problem with the Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) is what to do with marginal farmland, it could be improved with clean soil. But the ability to monitor the soil is inadequate.

Bottom line: There isn’t enough places to process and clean the contaminated soil, nor are there enough inspectors to catch those dumping.


Comments

  1. I am the Kelowna-Mission BC Conservative candidate in the upcoming election, and can attest that this is a huge issue in the Okanagan, as well. Municipal authorities are aware of dumping sites around Kelowna, and within the hills surrounding the valley, that are altering watercourses and drainage of farmable lands. From the vantage point of my farm I can see three agricultural properties violating ALC rules by (a) storing commercial equipment onsite, and (b) dumping fill, concrete, gravel and God knows what else (sometimes in the middle of the night, under cloak of darkness). The one ALC order of which I am aware that ordered fill to be removed was completely disregarded, and this fill (over 200 loads of dirt) remains on that site, permanently altering topography and creating flooding, dust and weeds on my property. This same property has been found by MOE to be leaching commercial waste into agricultural soil, but no government body has ordered this to cease, or for remediation to begin.
    It is extremely tiresome for law abiding farmers to constantly jump through regulatory hoops while they witness commercial tenants destroying neighbouring lands with little to no intervention (and presumably making a much more lucrative living than any farmer). I also note that, even when the MOE and the ALC issues warning letters and orders, commercial operations continue with abandon and, unfortunately with little enforcement. Regards, Alexandra (wright4bc.ca)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BC child killer's name change prompts criticism, political finger-pointing (Times Colonist)

The fact that child killer Allan Schoenborn has successfully changed his name under BC laws has prompted finger-pointing among politicians. BC Premier David Eby told media Thursday that in 2002 when opposition leader Kevin Falcon was the Minister of Deregulation he removed regulations under the Name Act that ensured name changes would be published publicly in the BC Gazette ... CLICK HERE for the full story

What My Dad Taught Me about Grief, Art and What Makes a Life (The Tyee)

In October 2017, the day after I found out my dad had died from an accidental drug overdose, I picked up my camera and loaded it with a roll of film. Photography is how I make a living and it’s also how I process my experience of the world. In the immediate days after my dad died, I often felt the weight of dissonant, opposing emotions. Our relationship was complex and thus created polarizing memories that can bring a smile to my face or overwhelm me with sadness. Creating double exposures was a way for me to express the contradicting and fraught emotions I was experiencing ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Grieving Lumby family flees in fear as suspect in woman’s death released (Vernon Morning Star)

The catch and release of a suspect in Tatjana Stefanski’s death has left her family so fearful they have left their home.... ... Gaudreault wants to make one thing clear – this is not the fault of the police. “I would like everyone to please understand that the problem lies at a way higher level than the police. Trust me they are doing all they can do within laws and regulations do not lash out at them" ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more