Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FRANK LEONARD: Message to the newly elected; "They are not inviting you, they are inviting your position"

Former Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard
-- see complete bio below --

Mr. Mayor ... Mr. Chair ... Mr. President.  

There you go – carry one of those titles around for a while and you’ll think you’re pretty special.  In fact, you might even seem smart as so many marvel at your words. The key is though to know how you’ll be treated when the title is gone.

Elsewhere in these stories I will describe how I’ve chased these titles since grade five.  And this means I learned at an early age what happens when they are gone.  

The toughest school age experience was being a ‘mover and shaker’ in our grade nine class, and so assured that I could get elected School President for my grade ten year (this was at a time that junior high was grade eight to ten.)  My dad’s transfer to Victoria put an end to that and I arrived at a new school for grade ten with no one really giving a damn about my suggestions or yet alone leadership.  It was a long year and it took to the end of grade eleven to finally challenge for School President, albeit unsuccessfully.

The first adult experience came in 1986.  Somehow, I managed to serve as President of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce in 1985 at the ripe age of 30.  My wife and I attended cocktail parties, receptions, and fundraisers all year long.  During the day I came and went from our family business to chair meetings, speak at media announcements, attend ribbon cuttings and of course meet Premiers and Cabinet Ministers.  But as soon as my term was up, the invites thinned out considerably.  Seems the invites were to the Chamber President but not for me.

The darkest contrast came when I lost the May 1996 provincial election.  I’d spent three years doing everything the leader had asked, and that often meant meeting industry and lobby groups to represent the new face of our party.  Ferry rides, Vancouver hotel rooms, lunches and dinners were all part of the menu as I flourished within Gordon Campbell’s inner circle – so much so that I was named in a Vancouver Sun story as one of the party’s ‘up and comers.’   

The day after my election defeat that all changed – no one wanted to meet with me, including Campbell.  That summer was a long one.  So I was very much prepared for life after my eighteen years as Mayor in 2014.   


I knew the invites would disappear and indeed they did.  I still see the dinners, annual events and ribbon cuttings on my ‘friends’ Facebook pages – but completely understand why no one invites me anymore.  And that is the lesson for those currently in such political positions, particularly the newly-elected.

You’re thrilled being invited to events you never even knew of and flattered that so many people want to hear your comments and opinions.  But know – and tell yourself daily – that this is not your real world.  Know that they are not inviting you; they are inviting your position.

Perhaps I’ll add a footnote to make my point.  My political fundraiser always auctioned off ‘lunch with the Mayor.’ At the 2014 event, Alan Lowe worked his magic as an auctioneer and just as two bidders were reaching a very high amount – he suggested they both ‘win’ and buy lunch with the Mayor.  They did and our campaign benefited from their cheques.  Post-election I still felt obliged to buy these businessmen lunch, and I sent them emails offering to set up a date and place but … they both responded and said ‘no thanks.’ 
You see, even when they’d paid big bucks they weren’t interested in having lunch with me – it was my title.



ABOUT FRANK LEONARD:
Frank Leonard was Mayor of Saanich and Chair of the Police Board from 1996-2014 after serving as a Councillor from 1986. While in public office, Frank chaired the Municipal Finance Authority of BC, was President of the Union of BC Municipalities and a Director of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. He has also served as Chair of the Capital Regional District, the Hospital District and the region’s Housing Corporation.

Frank Leonard comes from a family business background, having managed Victoria Tire Ltd.’s three Kal Tire stores prior to their sale in 1996. While in business, Frank served as a Director of the BC Chamber of Commerce, President of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce, and on the boards of local tourism and economic development groups. Frank has a B.A. (Honours) and M.A. from the University of Victoria, and has completed the Institute of Corporate Directors Program (ICD.D)

Frank Leonard is currently Chair of Parkbridge Lifestyles Communities and a Director of Coast Capital Savings. He is a business instructor at the University of Victoria and has previously served as a Director of the BC Investment Management Corporation, Chair of the Municipal Pension Plan and Chair of the BC Agricultural Land Commission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Labels

Show more