Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

“Dangerous ground in my opinion”, says former BC News Director and talk show host, as Sweden takes no substantive action to address or slow the community spread of the virus



DO WE CONTINUE THE TREND WE ARE ON, with government strongly encouraging people to self-isolate, and to maintain two metre spacing when we are out getting what should be considered ‘necessities’ – or should we open things up to allow for businesses (including bars) to perhaps re-open, but with strict guidelines as to social distancing?


I asked this in light of many people beginning to question whether we are on the right path (using Sweden as the example of a country handling things differently), with the level of self-isolation being asked of us by BC’s Health Minister Adrian Dix and Medical Officer Bonnie Owen, as well as by the federal government.

Personally, as you will note from what I had to say, I believe we are. 

It occurred to this morning that perhaps a good source for their opinion, would be Shane Woodford who is now a freelance journalist in the European Union, and who now makes his home in neighbouring Denmark, in the old port community of Faaborg. Shane, as many will recall, is the former News Editor and talk show host at 610 CHNL in Kamloops, and prior to that had been a reporter, for several years, with CKNW in Vancouver.

What I wanted to know, after hearing about how Sweden had been handling the COVID-19 situation up to that point, was if any changes were being made by their government. He remarked that;

The Swedish government has prohibited crowds of 50 or over,” -- and that as of Friday -- “They have also issued ‘suggestions’ on how people should be doing social distancing.

“The government has also passed legislation giving them the power to take any needed drastic action to curb the virus, without having to go back to parliament, but they haven’t actually used the power ... yet.”

He then continued, “Not much has really changed -- and certainly, no substantive action has been taken to address or slow the community spread of the virus.”

Schools are open, shopping malls are open, bars, restaurants. Kids pack classrooms and take part in big team workouts and games etc”.

That, apparently, gives Woodford some real concerns it seems, as he concluded by saying; Dangerous ground in my opinion”.

So with that in mind, I believe I will continue in my belief we are indeed on the right track being recommended by Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry, and that it is one we should stay on.

If you want to hear more on this story, you can join Woodford bright and early tomorrow at 6:50 AM, on News Talk 980 CKNW, with host Simi Sara.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget 2027: After a Decade of Decline, NDP Budget Delivers an Assault on Seniors, Working Families, and Small Businesses

Peter Milobar, BC Conservative Finance Critic, condemned the NDP government’s latest budget as the result of a decade of decline that has left British Columbians broke, unsafe, and paying more for less.   “After ten years of NDP mismanagement, this budget is an assault on seniors, working families, and the small businesses that drive our economy,” said Milobar. “The NDP have turned their back on the people working hardest to make ends meet and the seniors who built this province.” Milobar pointed to a new $1.1 billion annual income tax increase and warned that the government is piling new costs onto households already struggling with affordability.   “This government keeps asking British Columbians for more, while delivering less,” Milobar said. “The question people are asking is simple: Where has all the money gone?” Milobar noted that BC has gone from a surplus in the first year of NDP government to a projected deficit of more than $13 billion this year, while prov...

FORSETH – My question is, ‘How do we decide who is blue enough to be called a Conservative?’

How do we decide who’s blue enough to be a Conservative? AS OF TODAY (Friday January 30 th ), there are now eight individuals who have put their names forward to lead the Conservative Party of British Columbia. Having been involved with BC’s Conservatives since 2010, and having seen MANY ups and downs, having 8 people say “I want to lead the party” is to me, an incredible turn-around from the past. Sadly, however, it seems that our party cannot seem to shake what I, and others, call a purity test of ‘what is a Conservative’. And that seems to have already come to the forefront of the campaign by a couple of candidates. Let me just say as a Conservative Party of BC member, and as someone active in the party, that frustrates me to no end. Conservatives, more than any other political philosophy or belief, at least to me, seems to have the widest and broadest spectrum of ideals.   For the most part, they are anchored by these central thoughts --- smaller and less intru...

Stamer: Hope for Forestry Completely Shattered After Another Provincial Review Driven by DRIPA

IMAGE CREDIT:  Provincial Forestry Advisory Council Conservative Critic for Forests Ward Stamer says the final report from the Provincial Forestry Advisory Council confirms the worst fears of forestry workers and communities; instead of addressing the real issues driving mill closures and job losses, the NDP has produced a report that ignores industry realities and doubles down on governance restructuring. Despite years of warnings from forestry workers, contractors, and industry organizations about permitting delays, regulatory costs, fibre access, and the failure of BC Timber Sales, the PFAC report offers no urgency, no timelines, and no concrete action to stop the ongoing decline of the sector. “ This report completely shatters any remaining hope that the government is serious about saving forestry ,” said Stamer.  “ We didn’t need another study to tell us what industry has been saying for years. While mills close and workers lose their livelihoods, the NDP is focused on re...

Labels

Show more