Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- I realized on that stretch of road that the light or darkness that I feel about the current state of provincial or global affairs is the only thing that I can control


If you have been following these daily blog therapy sessions over the past few weeks, then you may have noticed a creeping darkness here. The initial jovial meditations about morning walks, Pokemon and the useful insights of Seth Godin's podcast have made way for a slightly out-of-focus look at politics, power, philosophy and partisan policy of late.

At the beginning of this nearly six-month experiment, I made a commitment to deliver something, every day. There has never been a plan, all the way back to early December I just write something and publish it. If I am lucky, I will have a few posts in the hopper giving me the space of a few days if nothing is connecting but occasionally my production will suffer and the pressure will build.

It's important to acknowledge that this job, Member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly, is the best job I have ever had. I love the work, the people, the opportunity, the stress, I love all of it. However, like every job, there are highs and lows, and in my trade, there are the lefts and rights. Nevertheless, the point of this blog is to create a space to share my experience.


Light in the darkness
Thinking back to last July following my first full Spring session in the legislature, I remember the detachment I felt through the first week of my holiday. We were camping at Pachena Bay and I just sat staring at the fire and listening to it crackle for three or four days. As we near the end of my second full Spring session, there is a similar level of exhaustion from the work, but also an overwhelming sense of dread.

The content of the session this Spring contributes to much of the "creeping darkness" of my recent offerings. I cannot understate the impact that the BC NDP's massive subsidization of the fossil fuel industry has had on me, at a time when the overwhelming scientific evidence suggests we need to be rapidly responding to climate change with the same sense of urgency we might have to respond to an existential threat like an invading army.

Yesterday morning was the first morning in a few weeks that these words flow without frustration. There is a reason for the little bounce in my step. On Wednesday I was on Salt Spring. That island is a beautifully complex place, full of incredible and accomplished people. The sun was shining and I got the opportunity to record conversations with Briony Penn and Raffi.


The gift of joy
Both will be published at some point in the near future on The Public Circle Podcast, but I left Salt Spring with an energy that has not been with me for some weeks. Firstly, I hope you will read my post about the supernatural canoe from Briony's book "The Magic Canoe of Wa'xaid". This book and my time sitting on the deck at Briony's house surrounded by trees and singing birds was such a gift and a welcome break from the grind. It's important for me to pause here and pay another moment of gratitude for the stories of Cecil Paul Sr. and his willingness to share with us his "little granny's" supernatural canoe. It was an important reminder that I also have a magic canoe that I have been inviting people aboard, work that I will now continue with some extra vigour.

Then I took my travelling studio to Raffi's house.

As I have written here previously, Raffi's voice sang the songs of my childhood. Now they fill our home as an important part of the soundtrack of my children's life as well. The gift I left his house with is joy. As I drove down Fulford-Ganges road toward the ferry I drew in a few deep breaths, looked in the rear-view mirror and smiled back at myself. I have incredible people willing to share their experience, love and passion with me. Fuel for the days ahead.

Paddle together
I realized on that stretch of road that the light or darkness that I feel about the current state of provincial or global affairs is the only thing that I can control. And, it's a choice to either allow myself to be dragged down to wallow in the mud, or to stand strong on the rock. The troubadour is no less passionate about the dire straits we face, but he faces it with a little song in his heart and with a deep hopefulness that surely comes from the joy of singing to children and being filled with their powerfully innocent spirit.

So, here I am standing on the shore beside my own canoe. I am inviting you with joy in my heart to come aboard and paddle with me. There are strong currents and the journey is long, but we have a good tide now so we better get going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

Labels

Show more