Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- The quality of the output is the result of the quality of the input. Let's look at healthcare through this lens


I remember my photography instructor in the Applied Communication Program stating with authority, "Garbage in, garbage out!"

A poorly composed photo will never be anything more than a poorly composed photo. My cohort in the early 2000's was on the cusp of the change from film to digital processing. There was a perception that the new digital processing would save even the worst photo but it didn’t.


His point was clear: get the photo right before snapping the shutter. His statement from the front of the class still rings in my memory and I apply it to many aspects of my work and daily life. The quality of the output is the result of the quality of the input.

Let's look at healthcare through this lens.

Facing the challenge
Last Sunday, I published a podcast with Dr. Ambrose Marsh. Healthcare in general, and access to primary care (family doctors) on the Saanich Peninsula specifically, is a big problem.

Our discussion in the podcast covers several aspects of health and well-being, but there is one aspect of the conversation that I want to shine a little more light on.

With the cost of our healthcare system over $20 billion and more than 40% of the whole provincial budget, simply throwing more money at the system is neither sustainable nor is it responsible.

For more than a decade, my physical, mental and spiritual health were poor. I drank copious amounts of sugary drinks, regularly ate fast food and did very little physical activity. I was 50lbs. overweight and while I was able to function in public events, when they were over, I retreated into darkness. Overall, I was very unhappy.

Things began to change when I was creating a Mii on my nephews Wii Fit.

After I plugged in all my vital statistics, the program let me know that I was morbidly obese. A chronic procrastinator, I knew I could no longer ignore the signs and that the next visit to the doctor was going to be a conversation about diabetes.


At the core of my dramatic situation were unbelievably poor eating habits. Sugar binges and late-night snacking were just two of the many ways I was slowly destroying myself. Garbage in.

The result was a deep sadness. In addition to my physical health, my mental and spiritual health were also struggling. I was barely able to get through tasks, my work lacked quality and I made poor decisions. Garbage out.

Nutrition, recreation and wellness
This post is a lot about me, but it is also a lot about each one of us. Our healthcare system serves about 5 million individuals who make hundreds of choices every day. When I decided to make different decisions about what I was going to put into my body, my body quickly responded positively.

Once I took control of my nutrition and my daily diet, all other aspects of my life began to improve. Sugary drinks, gone. Fast food, gone. Bread, late night snacks and processed foods, gone.

The provincial government simply cannot afford to continue the culture of spending our way out of the problem. Our health institutions are more expensive than ever, the front-line workers are more exhausted and our outcomes are not improving. The current situation is not effective and incredibly wasteful.

Just like my old photography instructor clearly outlined, the opportunity to improve the result is right before snapping the picture.

Focus on the quality of the input.

As it is currently designed, our healthcare system helps people manage the outcome of a society powered by highly processed, low quality food and nutrition. We are in desperate need of transforming our system from a focus of managing sickness to living in wellness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more