Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FRANK LEONARD: I saw our President as untruthful, yet they saw someone with good looks, personality and charisma who was giving the BC Chamber high profile


Chapter – Park the Rage and Work the Agenda 

I have a temper – this is something I’ve learned to manage – maybe.
My poor parents suffered through many a temper tantrum from this child and teenager.  Thankfully my temper rarely flares as an adult - maturity finally kicks in.

Yet for me it is not just maturity - it has to be a conscious effort.  I realized that to achieve my goals I couldn’t let my temper get in the way.  I think the pivotal moment was in 1986 – yes, I was 32 years old and finally wrestled this temper to the ground.

By 1986 I had a clear set of goals.  I was executing another five-year plan and the November civic election was in sight.  When I finished my part-time studies to complete my B.A. at UVic in 1982 I turned my attention to community affairs while tending to a family business and a young family.  My goals were to achieve business, family and political success.


By 1985 I was on top of my game: I was active in several business and community groups; and became President of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce.  In those days the Chamber had quite a public profile.  Media covered our luncheons; we created news at our Board Meetings; and the President was sought out for commentary on many local and provincial issues.  

I was also on the Board of the BC Chamber of Commerce.  The Manager had an unusual amount of influence and I found decisions to be pre-determined by the insiders. 

This was clearly the case as the President’s position became vacant in the winter of 1985 / 1986 but we were told there was a ‘ringer’ in the wings that would take the position.  This didn’t pass the ‘smell test’ to me but a new President was dropped into our lap and the old boys were quite proud of themselves.

Yet the tipping point for me was the presentation of the Chamber’s priorities for the 1986 Provincial Budget.  The Chamber developed policy in a pyramid fashion: local Chambers voted on policies, they went to the provincial conference and were short-listed by the BC board.  I recall finalizing the presentation at a hotel on Robson Street in Vancouver.  We rushed to get it done in the morning so that the President could fly over to Victoria and meet Provincial leaders that afternoon. 

So, I was shocked when I saw our President on TV that night announcing that the BC Chamber had come out in favour of legalized gambling. 

At no point in local chamber resolutions, our provincial convention or board meetings had this proposal even come up or been adopted.  It wasn’t a part of our morning meeting so my eyes popped watching our President describe our position, and how it was received by the Provincial Government.  I thought to myself that our next BC Board meeting was going to be very, very interesting.
 
It was ... but not the way I expected.  


Colleagues were still ‘high fiving’ the President for his domination of the news cycle before we even convened, so I quickly realized that an uprising was not in the works.  I saw our President as untruthful, and yet they saw someone with good looks, personality and charisma who was giving the BC Chamber high profile and impact.  No one challenged the Chair as the meeting got under way and the whole thing ran like a fan club.  

At the first coffee break I quietly left the room and the BC Chamber never saw me again. No temper tantrum; no outspoken righteous indignation; no burning bridges.  

I was a minority of one and had no hope of influencing any outcome.  But most importantly, I was mature enough to know that this battle would have no effect on my plan to win election to Saanich Council in just a few months.  In fact, if I allowed my temper to take over with an outburst it could even hurt my chances.
 
Former BC Premier Bill VanderZalm
You see, this BC Chamber President really did have some influence, as did the ‘groupies’ that were coming to his side.  While I did succeed in getting elected to Saanich Council that November, he had managed to become the Premier of BC.
None other than ‘the Zalm’ – yes, that Bill VanderZalm won the leadership of the Social Credit Party and led them to a resounding victory at the polls.

It wasn’t long before many others in BC saw VanderZalm had a unique relationship with the truth, and I quietly told close friends and family ‘I told you so.’  But that wasn’t my battle.  It didn’t fit into my five-year plan.  

The lesson I had learned was that I couldn’t achieve my goals by losing my temper.  The rage had to be contained.  If I were to speak out in righteous indignation, it needed to be calculated - while it would appear spontaneous, it never could be. 

When you lose your temper you lose control of the agenda and your goals.  Maturity was going to help me achieve the successes I desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Baldrey: 2024 meets 1991? How B.C. election history could repeat itself (Times Colonist)

NOTE ... not the original image from Keith Baldrey's op/ed 1991 BC general election -- Wikipedia   A veteran NDP cabinet minister stopped me in the legislature hallway last week and revealed what he thinks is the biggest vulnerability facing his government in the fall provincial election. It’s not housing, health care, affordability or any of the other hot button issues identified by pollsters. "I think we are way too complacent,” he told me. “Too many people on our side think winning elections are easy.” He referenced the 1991 election campaign as something that could repeat itself. What was supposed to be an easy NDP victory then almost turned into an upset win for the fledgling BC Liberal Party. Indeed, the parallels between that campaign and the coming fall contest are striking ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more