Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

LEONARD: I tell them this story and stress that there will always be another meeting, another motion, and another debate but often there is not a second chance to be a part of a significant family event


Frank Leonard asks, "Family first, or at least a close second?"

A year after getting elected Saanich Alderman in 1986, I was elected to the Capital Regional District Board, and one year after that I became Chair of the newly minted CRD Environment Committee.  The environment was becoming a key political issue and we were struggling with two key issues: the need for sewage treatment; and the need for more landfill space.  Becoming Chair of the Committee that owned these files was a great opportunity and an incredible responsibility.

My first weekend in this new position witnessed quite the setback.  Not only did we have a meager recycling effort but the one facility we had to receive recyclables burned down.  I recall driving to the Borden Street location as only smolders remained thinking that I really did have to tackle the reduction of waste from the ground up.

My instincts told me that in order to expand the landfill we needed credibility on recycling.  I’d attended a conference to learn how far behind we were from our neighbours in the lower mainland, and particularly Seattle.  Subsequently, nothing was a bigger priority for me than to start a blue box program.



Staff reports laid out a plan but some colleagues were not supportive. “Yeah-buts” dominated the discussion:
... it will cost too much
... folks will use the blue boxes as tool boxes
... citizens won’t take ‘garbage’ to the curb ... and ...
... will the materials really be used again. 

I had some support so our proposals never got defeated, but they always got tabled.  I recall one time where I left the meeting and walked around Panama Flats in Saanich twice just to blow off steam.


As the next meeting approached where the blue box initiative would once again be voted on, we got a worrisome call.  A member of the family had taken very ill and was in hospital in New Westminster.  It was a Tuesday afternoon and the CRD Committee meeting was at 9:30 am Wednesday morning so I said that I’d chair the ‘big’ meeting to get the blue box passed and then catch the 1 pm ferry to be in New Westminster just after 3 pm. 

The travel schedule went as planned, but of course life never follows a schedule ... the blue box was tabled once again, and the family member died midday Wednesday.  I had placed a political meeting ahead of a family emergency and it is a screw-up that I will always regret.

Whenever I have a chance to speak to the ‘keeners’ – the newly elected local government politicians who are so wrapped up in every item on every agenda – I tell them this story and stress that there will always be another meeting, another motion, and another debate but often there is not a second chance to be a part of a significant family event. 

This is where you may expect me to write that the lesson was learned and that I have since put family ahead of all else – but that would not be true. 

To this day I struggle with these judgement calls.  What I stress is that you can’t assume there will be another chance - another chance to see an ill family member; another chance to see your child receive an award; or another chance to be there for someone who is counting on you. 

So, I have missed meetings, been late to meetings or even had commitments moved but I have also visited a love one, given an unspoken ‘goodbye’ and left for a board meeting.  The difference today is that I think each case through to ‘last time’ consequences rather than wishfully assume I can have it both ways.

So, is this a lesson in ‘family first?’  Perhaps, if first thinking of the consequences to family qualifies.  The test can be stated more bluntly: can you live with the worst-case scenario of family being a ‘close second?’ 

Call the question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Labels

Show more