Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

LEONARD: I tell them this story and stress that there will always be another meeting, another motion, and another debate but often there is not a second chance to be a part of a significant family event


Frank Leonard asks, "Family first, or at least a close second?"

A year after getting elected Saanich Alderman in 1986, I was elected to the Capital Regional District Board, and one year after that I became Chair of the newly minted CRD Environment Committee.  The environment was becoming a key political issue and we were struggling with two key issues: the need for sewage treatment; and the need for more landfill space.  Becoming Chair of the Committee that owned these files was a great opportunity and an incredible responsibility.

My first weekend in this new position witnessed quite the setback.  Not only did we have a meager recycling effort but the one facility we had to receive recyclables burned down.  I recall driving to the Borden Street location as only smolders remained thinking that I really did have to tackle the reduction of waste from the ground up.

My instincts told me that in order to expand the landfill we needed credibility on recycling.  I’d attended a conference to learn how far behind we were from our neighbours in the lower mainland, and particularly Seattle.  Subsequently, nothing was a bigger priority for me than to start a blue box program.



Staff reports laid out a plan but some colleagues were not supportive. “Yeah-buts” dominated the discussion:
... it will cost too much
... folks will use the blue boxes as tool boxes
... citizens won’t take ‘garbage’ to the curb ... and ...
... will the materials really be used again. 

I had some support so our proposals never got defeated, but they always got tabled.  I recall one time where I left the meeting and walked around Panama Flats in Saanich twice just to blow off steam.


As the next meeting approached where the blue box initiative would once again be voted on, we got a worrisome call.  A member of the family had taken very ill and was in hospital in New Westminster.  It was a Tuesday afternoon and the CRD Committee meeting was at 9:30 am Wednesday morning so I said that I’d chair the ‘big’ meeting to get the blue box passed and then catch the 1 pm ferry to be in New Westminster just after 3 pm. 

The travel schedule went as planned, but of course life never follows a schedule ... the blue box was tabled once again, and the family member died midday Wednesday.  I had placed a political meeting ahead of a family emergency and it is a screw-up that I will always regret.

Whenever I have a chance to speak to the ‘keeners’ – the newly elected local government politicians who are so wrapped up in every item on every agenda – I tell them this story and stress that there will always be another meeting, another motion, and another debate but often there is not a second chance to be a part of a significant family event. 

This is where you may expect me to write that the lesson was learned and that I have since put family ahead of all else – but that would not be true. 

To this day I struggle with these judgement calls.  What I stress is that you can’t assume there will be another chance - another chance to see an ill family member; another chance to see your child receive an award; or another chance to be there for someone who is counting on you. 

So, I have missed meetings, been late to meetings or even had commitments moved but I have also visited a love one, given an unspoken ‘goodbye’ and left for a board meeting.  The difference today is that I think each case through to ‘last time’ consequences rather than wishfully assume I can have it both ways.

So, is this a lesson in ‘family first?’  Perhaps, if first thinking of the consequences to family qualifies.  The test can be stated more bluntly: can you live with the worst-case scenario of family being a ‘close second?’ 

Call the question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more