Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Black Lives Matter Is Not a Hate Group? Sorry but I have to disagree!

J. Richard Cohen is president of the Southern Poverty Law Center, and recently penned a piece in Time magazine entitled, "Black Lives Mater is not a Hate Group".

 

Sorry but I have to disagree.  Any group that vehemently opposes others, is in my opinion, a hate group.

 

In this case, it appears that Black Lives Matter oppose, and dare I say 'hate',
uniformed police officers.  Not just the few who have abused their position, but they seem to have tarred many with the same brush of hatred and abuse.  Police officers, who wear the uniform, are most certainly not all guilty of abuse.


Cohen spoke in his piece saying, "Generally speaking, hate groups are, by our definition, those that vilify entire groups of people based on immutable characteristics such as race or ethnicity."

He also stated that, "There’s no doubt that some protesters who claim the mantle of Black Lives Matter have said offensive things, like the chant "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" that was heard at one rally. But before we condemn the entire movement for the words of a few, we should ask ourselves whether we would also condemn the entire Republican Party for the racist words of its presumptive nominee—or for the racist rhetoric of many other politicians in the party over the course of years."

But as I stated, is this NOT WHAT Black Lives Matter (BLM) is doing?  Tarring with the same brush all police officers wearing the uniform?  If so, then they are indeed a self-centred group of individuals, who in their own way do discriminate. 

But sadly, I believe this is happening as more and more we hyphenate who we are, and create more and more sub groups to identify ourselves. 


The more we hyphenate our identity through (and by) race, ethnicity, self-interest, profession, sexuality ... the worse things become.

Our strength, through what we have in common, is instead being downplayed and berated by what makes us different from each other.

Anytime I get asked what kind of Canadian I am, I answer 'No kind ... I am a non-hyphenated Canadian."  

The fact that I am male ... that my ethnicity comes from First Nations ... Italian ... Scandinavian ... Scottish ... and other backgrounds should, and does, play no role for me.  Those 'roots' hjowever, different for each one of us, should be something we can proudly cherish.

Some though have used their hyphenated selves as a tool to get more than their fair share of the pie ... or to say "Look at me, I am down and repressed, I deserve more."

BULLSHIT!

Can we please stop accentuating our differences.  What we have in common is really what makes us strong!  Each one of us is unique ... and each of us adding to the mosaic of society, is what strengthen us.

Different and unique -- YES.
Special because of it?  NO.
Black lives matter?  YES ... but NOT more than any other
All lives matter?  YES ... and no one better than another

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.  The floors yours now, so let's hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more