Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

You are welcome to believe whatever you want. I have to tell you however, you are living in a dream world if you think the majority of British Columbians will agree with you.



Today, I'd like to refer you to a news story in Kamloops This Week, entitled "Primary-care teams, rather than ‘doc in a box’ the new health-care reality"

 

In this story, Health Minister Terry Lake says:


We may never return to the “doc in a box” physician for every resident scenario, Health Minister Terry Lake told Central Interior members of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association Wednesday night.


But, he added, that doesn’t mean each resident in Kamloops and across B.C. should not have access to quality patient-focused care
.



Well I've got news for you Terry ... having access to a family physician IS having "access to quality patient-focused care".



Having a on-going relationship with a family Doctor means we as patients have someone who follows us through various stages of life ... some one who can see immediately when changes occur ... who we can then have confidence in discussing things with, because of a relationship we have built ... and who can offer advice because they KNOW US.



The story, in Kamloops This Week goes on to say:



“We have to design the health-care system for that population, not for the population of the ‘60s,” Lake said.  On that point, the MLA for Kamloops-North Thompson said, the province has been working toward a patient-centred focus and keying in on prevention and health promotion.



A primary care model moving past the 1960s-era health-care model that can be resistant to change involves teams of health-care workers — in person and virtually — patients can see.


Lake said the team could include a doctor, nurse practitioner, nurse and counsellor, all of whom would have the patient’s medical record. Who the patient sees on a given visit would depend on what issue needs addressing.




Why is it Terry, that you speak of a BC Health Care system 'resistant to change' ... denigrating it as something out of date, and perhaps shall we say, old-fashioned?



Do you mean to say then, there is no need then to have a family doctor? 



You are talking out of both sides of your mouth Terry; either family doctors are still the best way to deliver patient centered health-care ... or they are not. 

Finally, you are welcome to believe whatever you want.  I have to tell you however, you are living in a dream world if you think the majority of British Columbians will agree with you.  The people of BC do want to have access to a family GP, so that we have continuity in our personal health care. 

Don't say it can't be done, get to work and figure out how to GET IT DONE!



In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.

Comments

  1. Due to the Doctor Shortage in Merritt since 2011, I chose to retain my GP: Dr. C.D. Hoffe @ the Lytton Medical Clinic in Lytton and yet I was criticized by friends and allies for keeping my Doctor in Lytton, because Medical Clinic in Merritt was local and yet when it was convenient to use the Medical Clinic in Merrit the "Dr". misdiagnosed my Achilles Tendon Tear and caused me nothing but grief for 5 weeks when I decided to get a 2nd opinion from my Family Doctor who informed me that I needed to see a Specialist immediately in Kamloops -the next day @ Royal Inland I was informed that I needed a operation and that I would be "down" for at 6 months - Alan makes an excellent point about having a on-going relationship with your Family Doctor- I don't want virtual care or have a RN examine me- I want a Doctor that knows me personally and medically- I wish the Liberal would quit mixing Corporatism and Socialism together and calling it patient centered healthcare!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nurses Take Job Action After Years of NDP Neglect

Image Credit:  BC Nurses Union BC nurses have reached a breaking point after years of unsafe conditions, rising violence in the workplace and a government that wouldn’t listen. Now they are on the picket line fighting to be heard. Last week, nurses began job action with a 72-hour strike notice, refusing non-essential overtime and stepping back from non-nursing duties. As of Tuesday, they have escalated to picket lines for the first time in decades. This moment was avoidable. It is the result of years of unanswered concerns from the frontline workers who keep our hospitals running. Nurses have been raising the same concerns for years: unsafe staffing levels, rising violence on the job, and a workload no single person should have to carry. None of it is new, and none of it should have taken a strike vote to get the government's attention. "Nurses are exercising their legal right to job action, but it shouldn’t have had to come to this," said Kiel Giddens, MLA for...

British Columbians Still Don’t Know Who’s Paying for NDP’s BC Hydro Deal

The NDP is making billion-dollar promises with BC Hydro, but British Columbians still don’t know who will pay the bill. Last week’s memorandum of understanding isn’t what the federal government and the NDP are making it out to be. It’s an admission that the NDP failed to make the long-term investments needed to keep B.C. powered. Now British Columbians have serious questions about the cost and whether BC Hydro ratepayers will end up paying the price. David L. Williams, MLA for Salmon Arm-Shuswap and Shadow Minister for BC Hydro and Electrical Energy Development , said British Columbians deserve clear answers about the full implications of the Canada–British Columbia Cooperative Prosperity Agreement. “British Columbians deserve the full truth,” said Mr. Williams. “This multi-billion-dollar announcement does not answer who pays for cost overruns, who pays for new generation, who carries the risk if industrial customers do not materialize, or whether ratepayers will be forced ...

NDP Government Blames Everyone but Themselves

The federal government has announced new measures to support British Columbia's forestry sector, including $65 million in funding for projects across the province. While any support is welcome, it falls far short of the level of assistance other provinces have secured for key industries. Conservative Forests Critic Ward Stamer says the NDP government needs to take responsibility for its mismanagement of B.C.’s forest industry instead of trying to pass on the blame. Despite promising to create more jobs in the forest sector, the NDP government has overseen the loss of thousands of forestry jobs and 21 mill closures which have devastated communities. “If Premier Eby spent more time addressing the regulatory issues impacting the forestry sector than he did complaining about the federal government, we would not be in the position we are now,” said Stamer. “And instead of trying to place the blame for mill closures on Donald Trump, Minister of Forests Ravi Parmar should t...

Labels

Show more