Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

"Is the funding formula one third of net revenue ($125 million minimum) ... or has the government arbitrarily decided it will now be capped at $135?" And ... Happy New Year too.



2016 is hours away from wrapping up, and a new year looms just over the horizon. 

Before I go though, I took some time this morning to have a look back at some stories from the blog this past year.  Not surprisingly, the two top stories were about the BC Conservative Party.

"Wasting one more minute of time and energy in the BC Conservative Party, by anyone, is sheer lunacy!"  from February 5th

 

"Dan Brooks hold, on the helm of the BC Conservative Party, seems very much in question"  from October 20th

 

Following that, from October 9th, came "How Much More Then Could We Be Thankful For?


And "You are welcome to believe whatever you want. I have to tell you however, you are living in a dream world if you think the majority of British Columbians will agree with you." peaked readers interests on June 10th


I'll mention this one as well, but it was only posted a on December 22nd;  "There certainly is a fluctuation ... government revenues fluctuate upwards, while grants to community groups fluctuate downwards!"


Why, you say, am I mentioning it?  Only because the BC Liberal government gave me more ammunition to work with. 

 

Yesterday, included in an email re-release of information (Government of BC featured Programs and Services), was a news(?) story from December 8th entitled; "Revamped Community Gaming Grant guidelines support better service"



In there was a sentence which stated, "Every year, eligible not-for-profit organizations share $135 million in Community Gaming Grants, provided by the Government of British Columbia." 

I missed that the first time round, when I wrote the post on December 22nd.  Which leads me back to what I thought was the agreed upon formula ... one third of net revenue, with a minimum of $125 million per year. 

For the past five years the payment to community groups and organizations has been stalled just under $135 million.

So the question I at least am wondering is, "Is the funding formula one third of net revenue, ($125 million minimum) ... or has the government arbitrarily decided it will now be capped at $135?"

One thing is a sure bet.  The community groups dependent on gaming revenue to fund the work they do, aren't likely to complain.  They have to apply to receive a grant, and with less and less being distributed each year, who is going to risk the loss of their grant?

With that, I will close the door on 2016.  Thank you for joining me on this journey ... it will continue again early in January.  Meantime, here's hoping that your dreams and aspirations become reality ... and that new goals you set for yourself are achieved!

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.

Oh, one more thing before I go ... Todd Stone and Peter Milobar will win both Kamloops ridings for the BC Liberals.  Even with the Greens and NDP splitting the center left vote, it would have happened regardless.  Following May's election loss, the NDP's John Horgan will resign.  That won't surprise anyone either.

Comments

  1. I agree, Horgan is toast. He has no traction, no "issue" to campaign on and is leading the party of "No." Thanks again for your great insights throughout the year. I very much enjoy you blogs and I learn a lot. Happy New Year.

    Kurt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

FORSETH: Without a strong local presence, there is NO reason for anyone to tune in to local(?) radio

LOCAL HOMETOWN RADIO IS DYING … and without serious measures put in place, it will likely never see the light of day again. For well over four decades, the Canadian Radio and Television Commission (CRTC) has presided over its’ demise, and for that I say, “Shame”. Without out a word to say enough was enough, the CRTC has allowed corporate Canada to buy up one radio station after the other, and then allowed them to slash staff to the point where some so-called local radio stations do nothing more than air programming that originates from communities well outside the region in which they are located. Case in point?   On CHNL* 610 in Kamloops, the morning show hosted by Vinnie and Randi, DOES NOT originate from Kamloops -- it doesn’t even originate here in BC. It’s a program that Stingray airs across multiple radio stations in Western Canada. It doesn’t end there. Not only are Vinnie and Rando doing mornings on CHNL, but they also show up on sister station Country 103 … and of course o...

Labels

Show more