Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

What qualifies someone to lead the BC Liberals? The individual doesn't need to have deep political experience ... the power of charisma goes a long ways



Jason Kenney, leader of the United Conservative Party

QUESTION:
Who among any of the leadership candidate hoping to be elected on February 3rd, has ruffled any sacred feathers in the BC Liberal Party?



IF the BC Liberal Party is indeed the free enterprise coalition (a claim I have shredded on numerous occasions), then why has no leadership candidate mentioned anything about the success of Jason Kenney’s unity party right next door in Alberta?



Is it NOT a welcomed idea, and if so, why not?   Like Kenney, a new leader will have to mold the party (again that so-called coalition) into the form and shape he or she desires. 

Have I missed the news story somewhere?  The one where the media ask candidates why this discussion, on a comparable free-enterprise party’s in Canada, isn't part of the discussion.  Especially during a leadership race?



Perhaps it has to do with the fact that no one, in the media, has ever asked the capitol "L" liberal side of the coalition (at least to the best of my knowledge) what they've had to give up, or been expected to give up, to keep the coalition strong.




I for one would have to believe (given what we have all seen) that conservatives in the coalition have given up first social, and now fiscal policies for the sake of what?  What about parental rights ... mounting debt ... and more?



Why is that?  Is it because the BC Liberal Party, with powerful federal Liberals  in positions of power, are quintessential political chameleons?  Everyone knows they campaign on the right, and then govern on the left.



HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION:
Can we ask who has the biggest CAPITOL 'L' Liberal tag stuck on their back?



Perhaps foremost in my mind, would be new comer Michael Lee.  That's because  Lee's campaign team includes Mark Marissen, a former strategist for the Liberal Party of Canada and the ex-husband of former premier Christy Clark.  Doesn't that alone blow his conservative posturing?  Seriously, after Marissen became part of Team Lee, what card carrying BC Liberal could honestly trust his self-touted credentials in being conservative?



Want more to bolster that thought?



On September 26th, in an interview with the CBC, Lee was asked about former premier Christy Clark's contentious throne speech.  The one last June in which she borrowed? / stole? numerous policies directly from the Greens and NDP -- ones fiscally reckless.  Lee was very much a supporter of Christy Clark's throne speech.



And on the same day in the Vancouver Sun, Michael Lee got this ringing endorsement as to why he could be elected as the next leader:  "He may not have deep political experience, but you can’t discount the power of charisma."


Great!  That's all we need!  Another sunny ways headed our way!


Interestingly enough I have also had it presented to me, by several BC political friends, that Todd Stone should be firmly planted in the capitol "L" camp as well.  Honestly I have to say I find that interesting.



I think we can look at the unnerving silence, from the (again so-called) BC Liberal coalition, that it really isn't one of compromises.  Rather, it is very much a big "L" liberal party of the same mold as it's federal counterpart.



Former Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts
Could that change with former Surrey mayor, and for a very brief time Conservative Party MP, Diane Watts at the helm?  I don’t know.  What I do believe however, is her only chance is a win on the first ballot.



While there does appear to be a strong sentiment for change, how far will the hierarchy at the helm allow that change to be permitted?   The party has doubled its membership in this race, and I hear she is doing well in the sign-ups.  Regardless, she has a HUGE hill to climb.



Have I forgotten all of the others?  Certainly not.



Andrew Wilkinson is the quintessential bureaucrat -- no chance.  Ditto for Dianne Watts.



If Mike de Jong is elected I have to wonder if we'll see a repeat of when Social Credit elected Rita Johnson.



I'm just guessing, but if I was to put a dollar on the winner, my bet would be on a Sam Sullivan win -- but only after several rounds of counting votes.



I'm Alan Forseth in Kamloops.  The floors is now yours to share your thoughts.

Comments

  1. Liberals govern on the left? Put down that Kool-aid. It is retarding you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just smile at that Allison, and have another sip from my coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well analyzed and well said Alan......and I especially like how you handled that shrill's comment!lol....Carry on my friend! Loren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper to step down for Conservative Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to run in a by-election

Deputy Whip and MLA Reann Gasper has informed the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia of her decision to step down as MLA for Abbotsford-Mission, creating an opportunity for Conservative Party of British Columbia Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to seek the seat in a forthcoming by-election. Gasper said the decision was made carefully and deliberately, with the future of British Columbia firmly in mind. Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper “This is a decision I have made after a great deal of careful consideration, and I believe it is the right decision for me, for our Party, and for the work ahead,” said MLA Gasper. “It has been a privilege to represent the people of Abbotsford-Mission, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who placed their trust in me. I am also grateful for the opportunity to serve alongside my colleagues in the Conservative Caucus and to contribute to our leadership team.” “I have confidence in Kerry-Lynne, in her leadership, and in her ability to ...

NDP Sits on $61 Million With No Start Date for Burnaby Hospital

Phase 2 of Burnaby Hospital redevelopment  was green lit to go ahead in September 2023 The NDP spent $45 million on the Burnaby Hospital redevelopment, cancelled the second phase, and now has another $61 million listed for the project in the province’s Public Accounts, with no start date for construction. If the NDP cancelled the project, what is happening to the $61 million set aside for it? The Phase 2 project was expected to cost between $1.7 billion and $1.8 billion and was intended to expand the hospital’s capacity. With Burnaby’s population growing and residents struggling to access healthcare, the government should be investing in healthcare capacity, not leaving millions of dollars tied up in limbo. “The NDP spent $45 million on this project before cancelling it, and now $61 million remains listed for it in the Public Accounts,” said MLA Misty Van Popta, Shadow Minister for Infrastructure. “If the government isn’t going to build the hospital expansion, it should explain whe...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Labels

Show more