Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

What qualifies someone to lead the BC Liberals? The individual doesn't need to have deep political experience ... the power of charisma goes a long ways



Jason Kenney, leader of the United Conservative Party

QUESTION:
Who among any of the leadership candidate hoping to be elected on February 3rd, has ruffled any sacred feathers in the BC Liberal Party?



IF the BC Liberal Party is indeed the free enterprise coalition (a claim I have shredded on numerous occasions), then why has no leadership candidate mentioned anything about the success of Jason Kenney’s unity party right next door in Alberta?



Is it NOT a welcomed idea, and if so, why not?   Like Kenney, a new leader will have to mold the party (again that so-called coalition) into the form and shape he or she desires. 

Have I missed the news story somewhere?  The one where the media ask candidates why this discussion, on a comparable free-enterprise party’s in Canada, isn't part of the discussion.  Especially during a leadership race?



Perhaps it has to do with the fact that no one, in the media, has ever asked the capitol "L" liberal side of the coalition (at least to the best of my knowledge) what they've had to give up, or been expected to give up, to keep the coalition strong.




I for one would have to believe (given what we have all seen) that conservatives in the coalition have given up first social, and now fiscal policies for the sake of what?  What about parental rights ... mounting debt ... and more?



Why is that?  Is it because the BC Liberal Party, with powerful federal Liberals  in positions of power, are quintessential political chameleons?  Everyone knows they campaign on the right, and then govern on the left.



HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION:
Can we ask who has the biggest CAPITOL 'L' Liberal tag stuck on their back?



Perhaps foremost in my mind, would be new comer Michael Lee.  That's because  Lee's campaign team includes Mark Marissen, a former strategist for the Liberal Party of Canada and the ex-husband of former premier Christy Clark.  Doesn't that alone blow his conservative posturing?  Seriously, after Marissen became part of Team Lee, what card carrying BC Liberal could honestly trust his self-touted credentials in being conservative?



Want more to bolster that thought?



On September 26th, in an interview with the CBC, Lee was asked about former premier Christy Clark's contentious throne speech.  The one last June in which she borrowed? / stole? numerous policies directly from the Greens and NDP -- ones fiscally reckless.  Lee was very much a supporter of Christy Clark's throne speech.



And on the same day in the Vancouver Sun, Michael Lee got this ringing endorsement as to why he could be elected as the next leader:  "He may not have deep political experience, but you can’t discount the power of charisma."


Great!  That's all we need!  Another sunny ways headed our way!


Interestingly enough I have also had it presented to me, by several BC political friends, that Todd Stone should be firmly planted in the capitol "L" camp as well.  Honestly I have to say I find that interesting.



I think we can look at the unnerving silence, from the (again so-called) BC Liberal coalition, that it really isn't one of compromises.  Rather, it is very much a big "L" liberal party of the same mold as it's federal counterpart.



Former Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts
Could that change with former Surrey mayor, and for a very brief time Conservative Party MP, Diane Watts at the helm?  I don’t know.  What I do believe however, is her only chance is a win on the first ballot.



While there does appear to be a strong sentiment for change, how far will the hierarchy at the helm allow that change to be permitted?   The party has doubled its membership in this race, and I hear she is doing well in the sign-ups.  Regardless, she has a HUGE hill to climb.



Have I forgotten all of the others?  Certainly not.



Andrew Wilkinson is the quintessential bureaucrat -- no chance.  Ditto for Dianne Watts.



If Mike de Jong is elected I have to wonder if we'll see a repeat of when Social Credit elected Rita Johnson.



I'm just guessing, but if I was to put a dollar on the winner, my bet would be on a Sam Sullivan win -- but only after several rounds of counting votes.



I'm Alan Forseth in Kamloops.  The floors is now yours to share your thoughts.

Comments

  1. Liberals govern on the left? Put down that Kool-aid. It is retarding you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just smile at that Allison, and have another sip from my coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well analyzed and well said Alan......and I especially like how you handled that shrill's comment!lol....Carry on my friend! Loren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more