Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

WUN FEATHER -- Peter opened my eyes. It was then that I realized that surviving, and being successful, were not mutually exclusive to each other


When I was a young fellow, my parents were too poor to help me finance my education, so I worked my butt off. I did whatever I could to make money. Whenever classes were not in session, I was working for wages.

One particular Spring Break, I went to work at a mine. I had gotten to know one of the mining engineers, who had a nice new truck, and a pretty wife and a new house.  Wow.

I liked his lifestyle, and knew that he must know something that I did not know about getting ahead. His life was so much better than mine. I would make every attempt to "accidentally" run into him at one of the few businesses that were in the small mining town.  I wanted to learn from him.

One day I saw him at the post office and said ..."Hi Peter ... fancy meeting you here!"

He laughed because the town was so small. Everyone ended up at the post office at least once a day.

He smiled and he asked me how I was doing. Because I was raised to be humble, I told him that I was surviving.

What he said to me after that, changed my life forever!

He just looked at me and said, "Well, I suppose some people are on this earth to survive."

Then he finished it off by saying: "I am here to succeed".

He did not speak to me in a malicious or spiteful manner at all, but those words hit me like a sledge hammer. All my life I had been pretty darn proud of the survival skills that my Elders had bestowed upon me.

They taught me how to hunt, and fish, and trap, and gather all the things I needed to survive. But no one had ever made that sound like it was not enough.

Peter opened my eyes. It was then that I realized that surviving, and being successful, were not mutually exclusive to each other.
 
Right now, because of this COVID-19, many people are in survival mode. The government is handing out just enough taxpayer money to keep people from giving up.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I have paid taxes for over 50 years.

Right now, everyone who is getting some kind of financial relief from the government, should be thanking the people and corporations who have been paying taxes all these years. And just to spell it out clearly ... there is no such thing as government funded -- there is only taxpayer funded.

All my life, people have asked me why I don't just live on the reserve, and take advantage of the programs that are available to me.

Maybe at one time, I could have done that, but then the words that Peter said to me would come back to haunt me ... ‘Am I on this earth to survive?’

Let's face it, I could survive very well if I just hunted and trapped and fished for food, and accepted some kind of funding from the government. Heck, many people survive quite well doing that.

But like my friend Peter said, I am not here to merely survive ... and the majority of my friends are the same way ... we don't want an allowance!

We don't want Justin Trudeau, or the government, to lord over us and make all kinds of rules for us to abide by, and then they give us some money to keep us afloat ... we want to be in control of our own destiny.


Surviving is fine, but in reality, that's what the animals in the forest do each day. The stronger ones are predators of the weaker ones, and only the strong survive. 

What sets us apart from the animals, is our desire to do more with our lives than just survive – that’s the lesson that my friend Peter gave to me.

Let’s consider me as a trapper.

These beavers have made their dam --they made their lodge -- and they stored enough food to last them until spring time. And then I come along ... Mr. Trapper.

I am the person who is responsible for limiting the population of the beavers so that they don't ruin our roads and farmers fields. It's kinda sad really.

The beavers and I are just showing you the difference between them having the ability to survive on the land in their own environment, and me.

I can survive on the land just fine ... but I have also chosen to become successful enough to live off the land if I want to, and to have the desire inside me to create a better life for my family.

If that means eating a few beavers and making a few blankets, then that is what I do.

Meanwhile, I send my sincere blessings to each and every one of you. I ask the creator to keep you safe and healthy, and I offer thanks for allowing me to be successful in my endeavor to out smart a few beavers.

About Wun Feather ...

I am one of the last of my generation to have actually attended residential and Indian day schools. I have lived on and off reserve, and have seen the benefits and the hardships of my people in both situations.

My parents taught me that any time I fell down physically, or emotionally, I just needed to pick myself up, shake myself off, and continue in a forward direction. So, I cannot claim that I did it on my own; I had great Elders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more