Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ARLEEN SIMMONDS – Two Stories of John Diefenbaker

I have always believed in democracy and that as Canadians we have a tent big enough include all our political persuasions, and that we can achieve more working together with respect.


I saw John Diefenbaker mentioned on your blog, and thought you might like to hear or share, a couple of stories I have about him.

 

We were living in Kitimat during one federal election when John was the leader of the Conservative party. I still remember painted footprints on the sidewalks with the words “Follow John”, ingenious!

 

But I digress.

 

Our candidate for the NDP on this election was Frank Howard who was the MP for Skeena for many years. We had worked with Frank for a long time and admired him immensely. The conservative candidate was a fellow named Art Bates, the manager of the TV station in Terrace.

 

Many of us in the NDP were fully aware of Frank’s background. As a troubled youth, who went from a very bad family situation into the foster care system, he got into trouble with the law. Frank served 20 months for robbery. After he did his time he straightened out, became a logger and union activist, and ultimately politically active. His past was never an issue to those who supported him.

 

It seems, however, that Mr. Bates and others in the campaign got hold of the story and were determined to publicize it and use it to their advantage.  Now John Diefenbaker comes into the story.  After he got word of this plan, Mr. Diefenbaker said ‘absolutely not’, Frank Howard has paid his debt to society and served his country. He squelched that plan!

 

Frank Howard at this point decided to share his story with the voters. There wasn’t a dry eye in the crowd as Frank spoke of his life from that very TV station in Terrace. He was handily re-elected! You can check him out on Wikipedia. His book from “Prison to Parliament” is a great read.

 

My second story about John Diefenbaker took place years later when we lived in Flin Flon Manitoba.  John was doing his farewell tour before retiring; he was coming to Flin Flon and there was to be a special dinner for him and all the local Conservatives eager to see him.

 

At that time, I was doing some door knocking for the NDP. I went to an area of town where many widows of employees at the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company lived. It was a notorious Conservative area, but I went anyway. 

 

The usual greeting I got from these elder women was, “No point coming here, I’m a Red Tory!”

 

My response was, “Well, you must be so excited that Mr. Diefenbaker is coming to town, are you going to see him.” 

 

Most all of them said they had no way to get there, or their children were busy people and couldn’t take them, etc. They were obviously deeply disappointed as this would be their last chance to see John Diefenbaker.

 

I decided to make a call to a friend of mine from church, who was a leading light in the Conservative party, and told her about the ladies. I asked if there was anything she could do. She said to leave it to her. Those ladies were all picked up and taken to see their beloved leader.

 

I would like to think that bi-partisanship like this can still happen in today's polarized world.


Arleen Simmonds is, and I quote, “... very much a political animal having been a committed socialist since my first vote at 21, now 60 years ago!”

After spending many years heavily involved with the NDP, she is now a supporter from the sidelines.

Comments

  1. I've been following John ever since... those footprints were always heading in the right direction....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more