Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

So am I a Canadian … or a hyphenated Canadian? And if hyphenated Canadian, am I Canadian first or second?


I find it interesting to note, given all of the recent hypocrisy about racial intolerance, the words to the national anthem of our country.



O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love

In all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts

We see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada,

We stand on guard for thee.
God keep
our land

Glorious and free!
O Canada,
we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada,
we stand on guard for thee.





The ONLY words used to describe the people of Canada are …. OUR … and WE.  “Our” being the people of this country … and “We” as the group, or collection, of the entire population.  No where in the words to OUR national anthem do I see WE being a collection of hyphenated Canadians – at least not where hyphenated we are Canadian second.



The 2016 Census of Population questions, long form (National Household Survey), asked a number of questions around our ethnic backgrounds. They included:
#17  What are the ethnic, or cultural, origins of this person’s ancestors.

For example, Canadian, English, Chinese, French, East Indian, Italian, German, Scottish, Cree, Mi'kmaq, Salish, Métis, Inuit, Filipino, Irish, Dutch, Ukrainian, Polish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Korean, Jamaican, Greek, Iranian, Lebanese, Mexican, Somali, Colombian, etc.



#19  Is this person:

White, South Asian (East Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, etc.), Chinese, Black, Filipino, Latin American, Arab, Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, etc.), West Asian (Iranian, Afghan, etc.), Korean, Japanese, Other (please specify)



Note, the very first option to question #17 is whether my ethnic background is Canadian.  Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with asking (or knowing) what the ethnic backgrounds of our country are.  Over the decades we have become a rich colourful fabric woven of many backgrounds … from all over the world.  It seems to me however, that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, is bound and determined to wipe out any choice of being simply a Canadian.




So, am I a Canadian … or a hyphenated Canadian?  And if hyphenated Canadian, am I Canadian first or second?  For example, a Canadian of Italian descent … OR … an Italian–Canadian.  In my opinion, I live in Canada … I am a Canadian, therefore I am a Canadian of Italian descent. 



Question 19, at least in my opinion, runs the risk of setting up stronger ethnic bounds, rather than identifying as a Canadian first, and secondly of whatever proud heritage we may have.



John Diefenbaker, our countries 13th Prime Minister said, "I have one love - Canada; one purpose - Canada's greatness; one aim - Canadian unity from the Atlantic to the Pacific."



He also said, "I am the first Prime Minister of this country of neither altogether English nor French origin. So, I determined to bring about a Canadian citizenship that knew no hyphenated consideration."



However, our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, believes, “There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada”



Which is likely brought about the recent Twitter wars, with a gang-up, by some, on Maxime Bernier.  He was right – he is right – in what he has said over the past few days on this topic of a Canadian identity, and it’s diversity!



“Trudeau’s extreme multiculturalism and cult of diversity will divide us into little tribes that have less and less in common”



“More diversity will not be our strength, it will destroy what has made us such a great country.”



Which again leads back to what type of hyphenated Canadian we will be.  Because “… identity politics simply panders to another group to be bought off with promises, generally never kept!”



Maxime Bernier went on to also say: “Identity politics has become pervasive and is being practiced by all political parties trying to buy votes. Political debate has degenerated into a contest between different ways of pandering to specific groups instead of appealing to our common interests.”



Canadian citizens have rights and responsibilities, and they come to us from our history.  They are secured by Canadian law… and they reflect our shared traditions, identity, and values. And, according to the government of Canada, our Rights and Responsibilities as Canadian citizens include the protection of our Multicultural make-up.  Our multi-culturalism is a fundamental characteristic of the Canadian heritage and identity. Canadians celebrate the gift of one another’s presence and work hard to respect pluralism and live in harmony.



John Diefenbaker had it partially right when he said, “I determined to bring about a Canadian citizenship that knew no hyphenated consideration."

Hyphenated Canadians, YES … but second after FIRST being a Canadian.  We as Canadians do have a core identify, it’s that our country was, and is, made up of a rich fabric of people from all walks of life.  And we should, and do celebrate that rich diversity.

Despite what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau may say, that IS what is mainstream in Canada.  Which brings me back to what I started with, and the words of our National Anthem:



The ONLY words used to describe the people of Canada are …. OUR … and WE.  “Our” being the people of this country … and “We” as the group, or collection, of the entire population.  No where in the words to OUR national anthem do I see WE being a collection of hyphenated Canadians – at least not where we are Canadian second.



The late Stompin’ Tom Connors may have said it best, in the song Believe in YourCountry:



If you don’t believe your country,

Should come before yourself

You can better serve your country

By living somewhere else





In Kamloops, I’m Alan Forseth.  I am a proud Canadian, and a muddle of ethnicities from Scandinavian, Saskatchewan Plains Indian, Scottish, Italian, and heaven knows what else.  And I am proud my forebears decided to make Canada their home.

Comments

  1. Cultural diversity is only valuable when cultures respect one another and work together for the common good of our communities, provinces and country. When cultural groups compete for power and prestige, democracy is at risk and civil war is on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article, Al.
    I once got a detention in school for answering "Canadian" to a question of origin. At that time it wasn't even an option. Lol. To this day I refuse to answer anything but Canadian. I am proud of my family's background and my heritage. As everyone else should be too. I am always delighted and enriched when someone cares enough to share their heritage with me. We are all immigrants, even the indigenous peoples came here for a better life long ago. And, I love when they share their heritage. Together, we are the "we" of our national anthem. Together we determine our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment Dave, and for sharing what I believe are the sentiments of most Canadians!

      Delete
  3. Bravo ! And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if this ethnic identity thing were true there are plenty of things people define themselves by besides their racial / ethnic heritage. I'm a father, I'm a man of faith, I'm a small businessman, I vote for ____ party. As for ethnicity is the Irish part of me supposed to hate the English side or the French the German side? Is the Polish side of my wife supposed to hate the German side of me? (some days I wonder) My point is that ethnicity alone does not define who I am or how I vote and you sell me and most of the Canadian population short if you think it does.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more