Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Pulling out a Thesaurus, to write a feel good media release, isn't going to accomplish that, and it's the people most in need who will continue to be left behind


This morning (August 3rd) BC Government News sent out a media release on Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation.  The first paragraph of this release stated:

British Columbia and the Southern Dakelh Nation Alliance have signed a government-to-government agreement that establishes a new relationship based on respect and recognition of rights.

For far too many years there has been talk, and more talk, followed by more talk, about reconciliation, respect, and understanding.  It seems, sadly from an observers standpoint at least, that this is the path we still remain on.

With all-due-respect to First Nations people, some of whom have been friends and neighbours over many years -- especially in growing up in the Cariboo Chilcotin -- I would really like to know what was accomplished in the meetings with government, that led up to the signing of this agreement.  When I first read the announcement, something felt odd to me.  It took a minute or two, but then I realized it was because of the crafting of the release -- the actual grouping and series of words.   

After several more minutes of re-reading it a few times, I thought, "WOW, whomever put this together, must have spent an enormous amount of time using the Thesaurus."

What stood out for me?  It was these words:

... establishes a new relationship ... respect and recognition of rights ... building comprehensive reconciliation ... government-to-government relationship ... collaborative decision-making ... improving consultation ... working toward building strong relationships ... advancing reconciliation ... building relationships ... respect and recognition ...
... new ways of working, learning and collaborating ... building an enduring partnership ... collaborative work ... working together ... working with our neighbours and relatives ... good and healthy way ... bring about real change ... working together ... work as partners

Do we really, after all of these years of understanding there are wrongs to right ... responsibilities to acknowledge ... understanding that in order to grow to our full potential, each of us need to work on ourselves, and have the tools necessary to do that ... and acknowledge that while not forgetting the past, the future is ahead of us, and we need to create a path wide enough for all of us to get there

Pulling out a Thesaurus, to write a feel good media release, isn't going to accomplish that, and it's the people most in need who will continue to be left behind.  I say that because even now after years of talks, we continue to see far too many individuals plagued by self-doubt about themselves, which leads to addictions, self-harming, mental illness, and ultimately too many in jails and corrections centres.


I had a friend read this over before posting it, and they said to me:
I'm having trouble following your logic in this. I'm not sure what your point is. Is it that this government likes touchy-feely words with no substance (it does, by the way), or is it that not dealing with the issues in the First Nations community lead to societal problems?

I responded saying:
YES ... the repeated use, over too many years, of those touchy-feely words.  Not getting down to brass tacks and moving forward past just words! And Yes, that we (all of us) aren't dealing with the issues. Just more of the same all over again.




I had a heavy heart in writing this today, and so I hope that in reading this you did not have thoughts that I was being condemning or harsh.  I too have had my own issues with self-doubt and addictions, and it is not a place I wish to see anyone trapped.  Let's get past crafting the words I noted above into media releases ... let's move on to building up 'whole complete people', and creating the foundations needed for that to happen.

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.

Comments

  1. Alan, If they don't help themselves why should we. case in point, the reserve in Kamloops has the best growing bottom land in the country and it is barely used except to raise some hay. I worked on the irrigation system for a hundred acres or so and when the department of Indian affairs and Northern development shut down forty five years ago It fell into disrepair. I trained a person to maintain the Pump and intake system but it became neglected and the pump burned out. There is a potential there for the band to make piles of money farming that land with vegetables. I worked for them for seven years, not just the Kamloops band. My area covered about one hundred square miles. It's never too late for them to take advantage of what they have. Dale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we can't support one another when it's needed, then who will be there for us when and if our need comes up in the future. I saw the same thing in the Chilcotin with irrigation systems, however the past is the past. So I ask, how do we move past platitudes such as I read in that government media release, and on to the real work that is required? You are right when you say there is 'potential for the band', let's work together to get there, or get out of their way so First Nations communities and individuals can get there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

FORSETH -- AM I AN EXTREMIST?

  Am I an extremist … do I support an extremist party? I never thought so, but given the comments of BC Premier David Eby this week, perhaps I need to rethink that. In a Vancouver Sun story written by Vaughn Palmer ( David Eby shifting focus to soaring B.C. Conservatives as election nears ), Eby made several astonishing statements, or should I say, claims. First up … “ I have flagged repeatedly my concern about the growth of the extremist Conservative Party in BC ” Given that the GROWTH of the party, or any political party for that matter, comes from individuals supporting it, by extension Eby has called me, and others, extremists.   Second … “ poll is an important reminder certainly for anyone who has been quick to dismiss the BC Conservative Party as an extremist party that will not find traction in our province ” It seems to me, that the ONLY person who has been dismissing the Conservative Party of BC, has been the BC United (formerly BC Liberals) party leader Kevin

Labels

Show more