Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FORSETH -- Let me ask you, are words and comments like this a refection of our sad state of political discourse


I'm right ... you're wrong ... "F" you

The other day on social media, I shared a link to the following post from the Conservative Party of BC:

... Conservative Party leader Trevor Bolin says, ‘Those who are illegally blocking the rights of others today, may be the ones who, in the future, will need the same protections of law which they are now flouting’ ...

Please feel free to read the rest of his comments, at the link I have provided, however, this commentary isn’t about that post, it is in fact about a reaction to it.

The reaction was directed to me, by an individual named Tony Brummel, who said, and I quote:

“F-ck you Allen”

EXCUSE ME, I said, and then continued, What the hell gives you the right to be such an ignorant moron. Given this comment from you, you are the perfect example, and description, of the saying, "Some people don't think their shit stinks"

Your Mamma must be real proud of your excellent vocabulary.

PS ...it's ALAN ... not Allen

And the not unexpected response from Ms. Brummel?  I'd rather be that than a racist

The thing is, it’s easy to throw insulting words around; especially some one has no idea of the character, background, or 'actual' beliefs of the individual they are insulting which their thoughtless, and perhaps unwise, remarks.

Let me ask you, are words and comments like this a refection of our sad state of political discourse ... or are they the rantings that come from of a small segment of British Columbians?

FULL DISCLOSURE ... I have at time also been guilty of saying or using words that perhaps weren’t the best choice. I will also admit that many of us can get heated in the moment, which is why prudence is a better approach.


Perhaps that is why, after I began writing this commentary yesterday, Tony returned to the conversation saying:

It's just possible that I attributed Mr. Bolin’s' words to you Allen. If I misspoke, I offer my condolences. I support the Wet'suwet'en completely. So !! lets hear it from you. Do you support their actions as a expression of their title and rights?

Here’s the things however, the issue wasn’t who said the words she objected to -- words which far more Canadians than not agree with -- so I responded saying;

You did indeed attribute the words of Conservative leader Trevor Bolin to me. Regardless your use of the "F" bomb was completely unacceptable.

This not what you'll want to hear Tony, however I do not support the actions of those who are going against every single First Nation community, governed by their "elected" governments.

I will call those who hide behind masks, cowards.

I will call outside agitators from foreign countries paid terrorists.

I will call those who are blocking parents trying to get home to their families ... to work ... to appointments ... to their parents in seniors homes ... misguided fools.

I've said it before...they are welcome to object and protest all that want, but when it comes to strong arm tactics, and illegal blockades, enough us enough


As I close these thoughts and words for today, here is what I will take comfort in knowing --- Tony’s idea of how one approaches dialogue is not shared by the majority of British Columbians ...

... and I am glad that I can, for the most part, have a respectful dialogue with those who have a difference of opinion from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurses Take Job Action After Years of NDP Neglect

Image Credit:  BC Nurses Union BC nurses have reached a breaking point after years of unsafe conditions, rising violence in the workplace and a government that wouldn’t listen. Now they are on the picket line fighting to be heard. Last week, nurses began job action with a 72-hour strike notice, refusing non-essential overtime and stepping back from non-nursing duties. As of Tuesday, they have escalated to picket lines for the first time in decades. This moment was avoidable. It is the result of years of unanswered concerns from the frontline workers who keep our hospitals running. Nurses have been raising the same concerns for years: unsafe staffing levels, rising violence on the job, and a workload no single person should have to carry. None of it is new, and none of it should have taken a strike vote to get the government's attention. "Nurses are exercising their legal right to job action, but it shouldn’t have had to come to this," said Kiel Giddens, MLA for...

British Columbians Still Don’t Know Who’s Paying for NDP’s BC Hydro Deal

The NDP is making billion-dollar promises with BC Hydro, but British Columbians still don’t know who will pay the bill. Last week’s memorandum of understanding isn’t what the federal government and the NDP are making it out to be. It’s an admission that the NDP failed to make the long-term investments needed to keep B.C. powered. Now British Columbians have serious questions about the cost and whether BC Hydro ratepayers will end up paying the price. David L. Williams, MLA for Salmon Arm-Shuswap and Shadow Minister for BC Hydro and Electrical Energy Development , said British Columbians deserve clear answers about the full implications of the Canada–British Columbia Cooperative Prosperity Agreement. “British Columbians deserve the full truth,” said Mr. Williams. “This multi-billion-dollar announcement does not answer who pays for cost overruns, who pays for new generation, who carries the risk if industrial customers do not materialize, or whether ratepayers will be forced ...

NDP Government Blames Everyone but Themselves

The federal government has announced new measures to support British Columbia's forestry sector, including $65 million in funding for projects across the province. While any support is welcome, it falls far short of the level of assistance other provinces have secured for key industries. Conservative Forests Critic Ward Stamer says the NDP government needs to take responsibility for its mismanagement of B.C.’s forest industry instead of trying to pass on the blame. Despite promising to create more jobs in the forest sector, the NDP government has overseen the loss of thousands of forestry jobs and 21 mill closures which have devastated communities. “If Premier Eby spent more time addressing the regulatory issues impacting the forestry sector than he did complaining about the federal government, we would not be in the position we are now,” said Stamer. “And instead of trying to place the blame for mill closures on Donald Trump, Minister of Forests Ravi Parmar should t...

Labels

Show more