Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FORSETH -- Let me ask you, are words and comments like this a refection of our sad state of political discourse


I'm right ... you're wrong ... "F" you

The other day on social media, I shared a link to the following post from the Conservative Party of BC:

... Conservative Party leader Trevor Bolin says, ‘Those who are illegally blocking the rights of others today, may be the ones who, in the future, will need the same protections of law which they are now flouting’ ...

Please feel free to read the rest of his comments, at the link I have provided, however, this commentary isn’t about that post, it is in fact about a reaction to it.

The reaction was directed to me, by an individual named Tony Brummel, who said, and I quote:

“F-ck you Allen”

EXCUSE ME, I said, and then continued, What the hell gives you the right to be such an ignorant moron. Given this comment from you, you are the perfect example, and description, of the saying, "Some people don't think their shit stinks"

Your Mamma must be real proud of your excellent vocabulary.

PS ...it's ALAN ... not Allen

And the not unexpected response from Ms. Brummel?  I'd rather be that than a racist

The thing is, it’s easy to throw insulting words around; especially some one has no idea of the character, background, or 'actual' beliefs of the individual they are insulting which their thoughtless, and perhaps unwise, remarks.

Let me ask you, are words and comments like this a refection of our sad state of political discourse ... or are they the rantings that come from of a small segment of British Columbians?

FULL DISCLOSURE ... I have at time also been guilty of saying or using words that perhaps weren’t the best choice. I will also admit that many of us can get heated in the moment, which is why prudence is a better approach.


Perhaps that is why, after I began writing this commentary yesterday, Tony returned to the conversation saying:

It's just possible that I attributed Mr. Bolin’s' words to you Allen. If I misspoke, I offer my condolences. I support the Wet'suwet'en completely. So !! lets hear it from you. Do you support their actions as a expression of their title and rights?

Here’s the things however, the issue wasn’t who said the words she objected to -- words which far more Canadians than not agree with -- so I responded saying;

You did indeed attribute the words of Conservative leader Trevor Bolin to me. Regardless your use of the "F" bomb was completely unacceptable.

This not what you'll want to hear Tony, however I do not support the actions of those who are going against every single First Nation community, governed by their "elected" governments.

I will call those who hide behind masks, cowards.

I will call outside agitators from foreign countries paid terrorists.

I will call those who are blocking parents trying to get home to their families ... to work ... to appointments ... to their parents in seniors homes ... misguided fools.

I've said it before...they are welcome to object and protest all that want, but when it comes to strong arm tactics, and illegal blockades, enough us enough


As I close these thoughts and words for today, here is what I will take comfort in knowing --- Tony’s idea of how one approaches dialogue is not shared by the majority of British Columbians ...

... and I am glad that I can, for the most part, have a respectful dialogue with those who have a difference of opinion from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Baldrey: 2024 meets 1991? How B.C. election history could repeat itself (Times Colonist)

NOTE ... not the original image from Keith Baldrey's op/ed 1991 BC general election -- Wikipedia   A veteran NDP cabinet minister stopped me in the legislature hallway last week and revealed what he thinks is the biggest vulnerability facing his government in the fall provincial election. It’s not housing, health care, affordability or any of the other hot button issues identified by pollsters. "I think we are way too complacent,” he told me. “Too many people on our side think winning elections are easy.” He referenced the 1991 election campaign as something that could repeat itself. What was supposed to be an easy NDP victory then almost turned into an upset win for the fledgling BC Liberal Party. Indeed, the parallels between that campaign and the coming fall contest are striking ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more