Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Wun Feather: Because so many of us want more out of life, are we no longer Indians?

I have had a few nasty messages that suggest I am not the real deal. They suggest that I am some kind of sell out, or that I am an Apple (Red on the outside and white on the inside).

Let's be completely honest about the majority of people's romantic vision of what an Indian is ... in particular, the left leaning, Liberal, social justice warriors who visualize all of us Indian men completely naked except for a loincloth, riding a magnificent stallion on the plains.

Our long hair is blowing in the wind and we hold a long sharp spear high in the air and we chase down a herd of buffalo for dinner. A bald eagle is soaring above us, and our pet wolf is running by our side.

You can probably see that image in your eyes because all of our lives, Hollywood has painted that picture for you.

The mass majority of people would never say anything negative about an Indian guy like me as long as I am living a minimalist life style as a keeper of the land.

Wouldn't it be great if we just learned our place in society and stayed that way? No one would ever argue that we were authentic! And I am saying this straight out ...

... liberal ... or conservative ... or whatever your ideology is ... many of you can accept me like that.

But what about my people who do not want to be called Indians? I totally respect that. The name has a few negative connotations associated with it, and so let's call ourselves Indigenous.


What the protesters don’t understand is that while they get to grab a nice latte on their way to work -- on the protest line -- many of my people don't even have five bucks in their pockets to spend on a latte


And what about my people who do not ride horses, or chase buffalo, or eat meat for that matter? What about them? Are they no longer "real"?

What about the Indigenous people who buy their groceries at Sobeys, and stop at Starbucks for a Latte? Are they no longer authentic?

And here my friends, is the question that I need to ask;  

What about all the Indigenous people who want to work for a living

What about the ones who strive to become educated and learn a skill-set or a trade

What about the ones who want a paycheck every two weeks so they can provide for their loved ones

From my very first sentence -- to where we are right now in this post -- when did the Indian part of the person leave their body? Because so many of us want more out of life, are we no longer Indians?

What gives anyone the right to stop us from becoming integral with Canadian resource development?

Instead of riding half naked on a paint horse, why can't I have a job running a chainsaw on a pipeline right of way? 

Instead of spearing a buffalo, why can't I be one of the survey crew, or one of the equipment operators?


Does that take the Indian out of me, because if you listen to the protesters, it sure does, and it is about time for people like me to speak out.

What hard-working Canadians need to know, is that the majority of us Indigenous people are just like they are. We want to go to work just like they do. 

We want to be gainfully employed in whatever sector we choose, without the impediments of these do-gooder social justice warriors" standing in our way.

At this juncture in my life, I do not care if being educated, being employed, or wanting more out of life causes a few stragglers to call me a "Colonialist" or an "Apple". 

Obviously, calling me names gives them a sense of accomplishment. 

Working for a living, along side my fellow Canadians, is what does it for me. Rest assured, there are many nations along the pipeline route who embrace what this opportunity has to offer.

Not only are they excited about jobs, but they can sit at the negotiating table and ask for financial assistance to build homes. Financial assistance to build water treatment facilities so the communities have fresh water! These things cost a lot of money that the bands don't have right now. 

What the protesters don’t understand is that while they get to grab a nice latte on their way to work, on the protest line, many of my people do not even have five bucks in their pockets to spend on a latte. 

Oops ... I forgot. 

If I want to remain an Indian in their eyes, I should only drink muskeg tea and chew on rat roots.


ABOUT Wun Feather ... I have literally hundreds of personal stories from the past.

I am one of the last of my generation to have actually attended residential and Indian day schools. I have lived on and off reserve, and have seen the benefits and the hardships of my people in both situations.

My, my parents taught me that any time I fell down physically or emotionally, I just needed to pick myself up, shake myself off, and continue in a forward direction. So, I cannot claim that I did it on my own. I had great Elders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

KRUGELL: BC NDP turns its attention from BC United to BC Conservatives

The BC NDP turning its attention, from BC United, to BC Conservatives was reported over the weekend from a variety of sources. It is the result of the surge in the BC Conservative's polling numbers and the subsequent collapse of BC United. The NDP has largely ignored the BC Conservatives, instead they opt to talk about issues directly or attack their old foes BC United. Practical politics says that parties closer to the centre tend to ultimately prevail over the long haul. They do wane but often make comebacks. A good example is the federal Liberals going from third party to government in 2015. Centrism has a lot of appeal on voting day. The NDP shifting its fire from United to Conservative is a reflection of reality. BC United did buy advertising online and radio over the last few months. Did that shift the polls back to them? Nope. The reality is today, the BC Conservatives are the party of the Opposition, and day by day the Conservatives are looking like a party not ready to fig

Baldrey: 2024 meets 1991? How B.C. election history could repeat itself (Times Colonist)

NOTE ... not the original image from Keith Baldrey's op/ed 1991 BC general election -- Wikipedia   A veteran NDP cabinet minister stopped me in the legislature hallway last week and revealed what he thinks is the biggest vulnerability facing his government in the fall provincial election. It’s not housing, health care, affordability or any of the other hot button issues identified by pollsters. "I think we are way too complacent,” he told me. “Too many people on our side think winning elections are easy.” He referenced the 1991 election campaign as something that could repeat itself. What was supposed to be an easy NDP victory then almost turned into an upset win for the fledgling BC Liberal Party. Indeed, the parallels between that campaign and the coming fall contest are striking ... CLICK HERE for the full story

Labels

Show more