Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- Sonia is as strong and wise as her mother, and I am honoured to officially pass the leadership of the BC Greens to her


 

I have an interesting story about Sonia Furstenau, Jan Carroll, Emily and Adam Olsen.

In 2006 Emily and I were planning our mid-August wedding. I was given one important job - secure the person who would officiate.

Part of the reason I had such a minimal workload for the wedding was that I was also the communications manager for Aboriginal Team BC heading off to the 2006 North American Indigenous Games in Denver, CO.

While I’m proud of the job I did to gain exposure for the hundreds of Indigenous youth athletes in 15 individual and team sports from all corners of our incredible province, I am less pleased with my lack of success securing the official to officiate our marriage. (Wow! I am throwing some serious shade on myself here.) I guess I thought I could get someone for the second Saturday in August after I got back from the games in the middle of July (of the same year.)

As you likely quickly recognized all the wedding officials were officially booked. It is quite likely most of the officials were booked by mid-July of the year before.

No surprise that there were no official officials to officiate our wedding and we had 250 friends and relatives ready to celebrate. They were ready because every other part of our big day was effectively planned by Emily.

We needed an official on short notice so by mid-July even an unofficial official would suffice. That is when Emily and I turned to Jan Carroll.

We didn’t know at the time that Sonia Furstenau was Jan Carroll’s daughter, but we did quite like Jan and felt that she would do a great job convincing our family and friends on our very biggest day that they were attending a real wedding meeting the expectations of the Province of British Columbia.

Jan dispensed her job beautifully. Despite almost backing off the bluff and into the Saanich Inlet - saved by one my uncles I think - the service was perfect.

As a result of my procrastination Emily and I now have three anniversaries. The early spring day we met, the mid-August day Jan "married" us, and the late fall day we actually met the official standards of our great province.

It was from Jan that Emily and I received the powerful advice that has become a critical part of the success of our relationship.

She told us that the secret of a successful marriage is to always remember that “one cooks and the other does the dishes.” Ever since, this simple principle has played out in a variety of ways - many that have nothing to do with the kitchen.

Eleven years later I was elected to the British Columbia legislature alongside Jan's daughter, Sonia Furstenau. I have worked closely with Sonia ever since. We have stood together on the top of the mountain and at the bottom of the valley.

Sonia is as strong and wise as her mother and I am honoured to officially pass the leadership of the BC Greens to her.

One thing I know for sure from many hours sitting at the table with Sonia is that she truly has the interest of British Columbians at the heart of her work.
 

Sonia is a powerful advocate; she has a fierce determination to ensure that the legislature in Victoria is the home of governance and not a platform for partisans.

I look forward to continuing to work with Sonia on behalf of our constituents and all our province.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more