Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FORSETH -- To be honest, I was not surprised by anything the President of Stingray Radio, Steve Jones, had to say


Today, after many weeks of back and forth emails with the Canadian Radio and Television Commission (CRTC), and their request for the owners of Radio 610 CHNL in Kamloops to respond to my concerns (which I outlined HERE), I received a response from Steve Jones, President of Stingray Radio.

To be honest, I was not surprised by anything he had to say. Further, it only backed up my belief that they, and other media conglomerates, have (and will continue to) decimate local radio.

Take for example, this comment from him:
As an AM undertaking, CHNL is not required to broadcast any local programming specifically.

I don’t know about you, however I don’t believe that’s anything to be proud of. In fact, any of the large broadcast companies (Bell, Corus, Stingray, and others) should be ashamed to make that statement.

He then goes on to say:
Despite having no regulatory obligation to do so, CHNL maintains a local newsroom staffed by three people and provides hourly news updates throughout the broadcast day.

A radio station operates 7 days a week, and they’re going to cover the news with just two people?

Those two, Jeff Andreas and Paul James, are doing a herculean job as far as I am concerned. The third person, referenced by Jones, would have to be sports reporter Jon Keen (whose work is done in partnership with the Kamloops Blazers -- InfoNews Sept 24).

I spent some time this afternoon on the CHNL website looking at posted news and sports stories going back all the way to October 31st – Jon Keen is there on just one from December 4th, with regards to the Kamloops United Football Club … that’s it.

So tell me Mr. Jones … is there in reality a three person news room?


Stingray Radio President Steve Jones goes on to say, “Ultimately, this fall we made the difficult decision to streamline our operations so that CHNL could avoid the fate of the stations noted above. Thanks to these programming changes, we hope to keep CHNL on the air and a vibrant part of the Kamloops community for many years to come.”

I have to again ask though, given this, to whose benefit is it keeping CHNL on the air?

Again I reiterate that all programing other than news, and Kamloops Blazer’s play-by-play, originates from outside our community.  The music aired on CHNL is pretty much found on other stations, and there is little to no information of happenings in our community, or within the region.

Over the years, the station shut down repeaters in the North Thompson, Merritt, and Ashcroft/ Cache Creek – I suspect the one in the Shuswap won’t be far behind.

Given all that, really the only benefit to anyone, that I can see, is to Stingray alone as they can now operate a radio station with virtually no staff other than 2 news people.

Stingray Radio may as well just shutter CHNL and shift those 2 news people over to Country 103 and K97.5 … and then pick one of the two to air Blazers games.

Do I want to see that happen?

NO, of course not!

What I do want to see is for the CRTC to obligate ALL radio stations (whether AM or FM) to provide local programming, because as I stated on December 4th:

“ … without a strong local presence, there is NO reason for anyone to tune in to local(?) radio, and audiences will continue to decline as the final nails are pounded into the coffin.”

To be honest, I have no real hope this is going to happen, and so one way or the other the likes of Stingray, Corus, Bell and other will simply continue to turn off the lights at one radio station after the other …

… and that is sad.

In Kamloops, I’m Alan Forseth.


Comments

  1. "...a vibrant part of the Kamloops community for many years to come."

    Uh huh. Interesting definition of "vibrant".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more