Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Why I left the job I love -- A letter to the BC Ambulance Service


The following commentary was written by Tricia Minions, and is used with permission
 

I’ve been a paramedic for about 6 years now. I started my career about 5 years ago with the BC Ambulance Service (BCAS). When I started, we got paid $2 per hour on call until an ambulance was activated. After struggling financially under this system for 6 months, I thought about resigning, until we were given a base guarantee of pay regardless of activation.

 

This guarantee gave me my base wage at 4 hours for every 12 hour shift so I knew I would be receiving some sort of compensation for showing up to work regardless of whether or not a call came in. This was a temporary offering that we were told would remain in place until something better could be put into action for us.

 

Recently, the BCAS has decided to move forward with a new system that falls incredibly short of what was initially promised. The new scheduled on call system doesn’t really fix much and is asking paramedics to commit full time hours for part time pay. As well, stations such as those I worked at will be back to $2 per hour, on call, until activated.

 

I promised myself that I would not allow the BCAS to take advantage of me again and I stuck with that promise.

 

I’m lucky to have been afforded opportunities for employment in Alberta where I am compensated fairly for my time at work. While I am lucky in this way, there are many BC paramedics who don’t share this opportunity and have to work within an unfair system that does not value the education and time commitment of their staff. I hope nothing but the brightest future for my former colleagues as I bow out of my part of the fight for change.

 

I could write forever about all the highs and lows of my career with the BC Ambulance Service, but I’ll leave it with this ... I am worth so much more than $2 an hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more