Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

TODD STONE -- Catchphrases don't cut it anymore — people are losing their jobs and need actual assistance

 After abandoning the restaurant and hospitality industry for a week and a half following the announcement of stricter public health measures, the NDP
government has offered no new money to help businesses other than repurposing its already botched Small to Medium-Sized Business Recovery Grant program.

“After John Horgan attacked young service sector workers last week, this is another slap in the face to restaurant owners and employees,” said Todd Stone, BC Liberal Critic for Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation.

“The NDP is basically acknowledging their overall program for small business — the business recovery grant program specifically — has been a disaster. All they have done today is give a new name to a pool of money that already exists, to cover up for the NDP’s incompetence — they had no plan to help the sector before, and they still don’t today. Far too many questions remain for restaurant owners and employees.”

 

Stone noted the lack of clarity in the NDP’s so-called “Circuit Breaker Business Relief Grant” and asked that they provide answers to the following questions:

  • Why are applications not open today, and why did government not have this in place on the same day that the newest health orders were announced?
  • How long will it take for a business to be approved for funds?
  • Can businesses that have already been approved for recovery grant funding, and those that have received recovery grant funding to date, also receive this additional support?
  • How will businesses prove they have suffered economically from the recent health orders?
  • What is the rationale for providing this support only to businesses opened as of February 1, 2021? What about businesses desperate for support and trying to hang on that closed prior to that date?

“John Horgan should have announced new funding to support struggling small businesses, ensured that this funding was in place on the same day as the recent health orders were announced, and fixed his botched business recovery grant program,” concluded Stone.

“Catchphrases don't cut it anymore — people are losing their jobs and need actual assistance. It’s time for the NDP to stop bungling and provide meaningful relief for businesses and people in need.”

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BC cannot regulate, redesign, and reinterpret its way to a stable forestry sector. Communities need clear rules, predictable timelines, and accountability for results.

Photo credit:  Atli Resources LP   BC’s Forestry Crisis Continues with Closure of Beaver Cove Chip Facility   As industry leaders, Indigenous partners, and contractors gather this week at the BC Natural Resources Forum in Prince George, the gap between government rhetoric and reality could not be clearer. Just hours after the Eby government once again touted reconciliation, certainty, and economic opportunity under DRIPA, Atli Chip Ltd, a company wholly owned by the ’Na̱mg̱is First Nation, announced it is managing the orderly closure of its Beaver Cove chip facility. The closure comes despite public tax dollars, repeated government announcements, and assurances that new policy frameworks would stabilize forestry employment and create long-term opportunity in rural and coastal British Columbia. “British Columbians are being told one story, while communities are living another,” said Ward Stamer, Critic for Forests. “This closure makes it clear that announcement...

Stamer: Hope for Forestry Completely Shattered After Another Provincial Review Driven by DRIPA

IMAGE CREDIT:  Provincial Forestry Advisory Council Conservative Critic for Forests Ward Stamer says the final report from the Provincial Forestry Advisory Council confirms the worst fears of forestry workers and communities; instead of addressing the real issues driving mill closures and job losses, the NDP has produced a report that ignores industry realities and doubles down on governance restructuring. Despite years of warnings from forestry workers, contractors, and industry organizations about permitting delays, regulatory costs, fibre access, and the failure of BC Timber Sales, the PFAC report offers no urgency, no timelines, and no concrete action to stop the ongoing decline of the sector. “ This report completely shatters any remaining hope that the government is serious about saving forestry ,” said Stamer.  “ We didn’t need another study to tell us what industry has been saying for years. While mills close and workers lose their livelihoods, the NDP is focused on re...

FORSETH – My question is, ‘How do we decide who is blue enough to be called a Conservative?’

How do we decide who’s blue enough to be a Conservative? AS OF TODAY (Friday January 30 th ), there are now eight individuals who have put their names forward to lead the Conservative Party of British Columbia. Having been involved with BC’s Conservatives since 2010, and having seen MANY ups and downs, having 8 people say “I want to lead the party” is to me, an incredible turn-around from the past. Sadly, however, it seems that our party cannot seem to shake what I, and others, call a purity test of ‘what is a Conservative’. And that seems to have already come to the forefront of the campaign by a couple of candidates. Let me just say as a Conservative Party of BC member, and as someone active in the party, that frustrates me to no end. Conservatives, more than any other political philosophy or belief, at least to me, seems to have the widest and broadest spectrum of ideals.   For the most part, they are anchored by these central thoughts --- smaller and less intru...

Labels

Show more