Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ON THE OTHER HAND ... In recent years the silent majority are more and more being made to feel what they think, and believe, is morally wrong and reprehensible


Here’s my take on the Don Cherry poppy debacle ... please take a moment to can read the comments ofLaila Yuile as well.




The late Canadian Prime Minister John Diefenbaker once said, “I am a Canadian, a free Canadian, free to speak without fear” ... but I ask, how true are those words these days.  We have become people who are easily offended, who look for hidden meaning in words, who forget and dismiss our past, and who look through rose coloured glasses at those who came before us.



I ask this in light of the silent majority who in recent years are more and more being made to feel that what they think, and believe, is morally wrong and reprehensible.



Regrettably Don Cherry has never been the most eloquent in his usage of the English language. I believe what he said on Saturday night was spoken in a sincere belief that ALL Canadians, new and old, had a debt of gratitude for those who had served our country. I do not believe it was intended as a racist commentary -- in any way shape or form.



I'm very disappointed in the 'moral' outrage expressed by so many who have likely never accomplished, or done, even 1% of what he achieved.  An individual who loved Canada ... and ‘yes’ who loved Canadian hockey. Over many years Don Cherry also lent his considerable persona to numerous charitable causes, most significantly, organ donation awareness.



I posted much of the above, on both my personal ‘non-political’ Facebook page, as well as my ‘political’ Facebook page.  I never thought it would elicit much comment on the personal page, however I was wrong. Quite a number of people – men and women – young and old – gave a thumbs up and expressed disappointment, or concern, that he was fired for what he had to say.



Not all however, as one individual expressed that, “In Canada anyone can exercise their free speech, but that comes with some responsibility, and sometimes if you live by the sword, you die by it as well”.



One individual also commented, “It WAS a conversation starter ... may we continue to hold in our minds the thought they fought to let Mr. Cherry speak and ... let all speak for ourselves ... be the words wise or dumb”.



Someone who agreed with Cherry stated, “I believe Don Cherry is deserving of respect rather than condemnation! I've not always agreed with everything he has said over the years, but I believe in his right to say it”.



That’s the side I come down on.  Whether we agree with someone or not, we should respect an individuals right to free speech.



Therefore, it was disappointing for me to see what happened yesterday -- something that is becoming less and less of a right for all -- 'free speech'.  Instead we are seeing ‘free speech’ become replaced by ‘approved speech’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper to step down for Conservative Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to run in a by-election

Deputy Whip and MLA Reann Gasper has informed the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia of her decision to step down as MLA for Abbotsford-Mission, creating an opportunity for Conservative Party of British Columbia Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to seek the seat in a forthcoming by-election. Gasper said the decision was made carefully and deliberately, with the future of British Columbia firmly in mind. Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper “This is a decision I have made after a great deal of careful consideration, and I believe it is the right decision for me, for our Party, and for the work ahead,” said MLA Gasper. “It has been a privilege to represent the people of Abbotsford-Mission, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who placed their trust in me. I am also grateful for the opportunity to serve alongside my colleagues in the Conservative Caucus and to contribute to our leadership team.” “I have confidence in Kerry-Lynne, in her leadership, and in her ability to ...

NDP Sits on $61 Million With No Start Date for Burnaby Hospital

Phase 2 of Burnaby Hospital redevelopment  was green lit to go ahead in September 2023 The NDP spent $45 million on the Burnaby Hospital redevelopment, cancelled the second phase, and now has another $61 million listed for the project in the province’s Public Accounts, with no start date for construction. If the NDP cancelled the project, what is happening to the $61 million set aside for it? The Phase 2 project was expected to cost between $1.7 billion and $1.8 billion and was intended to expand the hospital’s capacity. With Burnaby’s population growing and residents struggling to access healthcare, the government should be investing in healthcare capacity, not leaving millions of dollars tied up in limbo. “The NDP spent $45 million on this project before cancelling it, and now $61 million remains listed for it in the Public Accounts,” said MLA Misty Van Popta, Shadow Minister for Infrastructure. “If the government isn’t going to build the hospital expansion, it should explain whe...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Labels

Show more