Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Recent Affordable Housing Investment Plan report indicates it’s actually going to take 37 and a half years to reach that lofty NDP goal


Last Thursday (October 31st), the BC Liberals called on Premier John Horgan, and Housing Minister Selina Robinson to, as they said, come clean with British Columbians who trusted them to build affordable housing. 

Kamloops MLA and Housing Critic Todd Stone stated last week that:


John Horgan has let down the very people he made the biggest promise to in the last election. To mislead British Columbians, especially the most vulnerable people in our communities who need safe housing, is simply reprehensible,” said BC Liberal Housing Critic and MLA for Kamloops-South Todd Stone.

BC’s Housings Affordable Housing Investment Plan (AHIP) Report for 2019 / 2020 related how the government of John Horgan, in the Budget Update for 2017, and the 2018 Budget, had committed nearly $7 billion in funds.

After promising to build 114,000 homes over 10 years, we are now two and a half years into that plan and just over 2,200 units have been completed”, related Stone, who then continued;

“At this rate, it would take Horgan’s NDP government over 100 years to meet their target
.”

Again, looking to the governments own recent AHIP report, it showed that as of June 30th, BC Housing has just over 13 thousand (13,182) homes in various stages of development, construction, or competition.


The seven categories, for the funding program, show competition numbers of: 


  • 71 for Affordable Rental Housing 
  • 1,428 units for Rapid Response to Homelessness 
  • Deepening Affordability of Existing Programs has 350 completed units 
  • BOTH the Community Housing Fund, and the Indigenous Housing Fund, have ZERO completed units 
  • there are 358 units for Supportive Housing and .... 
  • just 72 under the heading of the Women’s Transition Housing Fund


That comes to a total of just 2,279 housing units that have been completed under the current term of BC’s NDP government.  Twenty-two hundred and seventy-nine units of the 13,182 alleged to be in development of completed, or of the twenty-two thousand claimed by the NDP.

That is NOT a very good record, in my opinion, of delivering on the governments commitment to increase the supply of affordable, social, and supportive housing. A record which the government itself also states should be measured by the number of units completed.

On page 11, of BC’s Housings Affordable Housing Investment Plan, the authors report the 2019 / 20 completion target is set to be three thousand and thirty-five (3,035) homes ... that of the 114,00-goal promised by the NDP over the next decade. 
 
Kamloops South Thompson MLA,
and Housing Critic, Todd Stone
At that rate, it is actually going to take 37 and a half years to reach that lofty goal!  No wonder then that the BC Liberal’s are saying the NDP government’s housing plan is a complete failure. Furthermore, that their own report, which the Liberals say government has been keeping from the public, shows over half of promised units don’t even have funding committed to them.

When I asked Stone about low income families, and their need for safe and affordable housing, he reported to me only 71 Affordable Rental Housing Units have been delivered.  He also indicated fully six in ten projects are behind schedule, further compounding problems for mothers, children, and those vulnerable because of a insufficient.

Housing Minister Selina Robinson has spent an awful lot of energy doing photo ops and re-announcing BC Liberal projects. What she seems to spend little time on is actually getting projects funded and shovels in the ground,” concluded Housing Critic Todd Stone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more