Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

AL SIEBRING – It’s A Conspiracy!!!


You may have seen some of the exchanges I’ve had on Social Media in the past few days with folks who are convinced that this entire COVID-19 thing is part of a vast global conspiracy to get us all vaccinated.  I also know people who are absolutely certain that the Chinese are trying to infect us all because COVID-19 is actually spread through the millimetre wave spectrum used in Huwai's 5-G technology.  (In France, this has led to numerous incidents where people are literally burning down cell towers.)

Underlying all the conspiracy theories around COVID is a belief in a globalist agenda that is about making the “elite” - people like Bill Gates - fabulously rich.  Either that, or it’s all about “population control” both in terms of reducing the actual population numbers by killing as many people as possible through contaminated vaccines, and/or “controlling” the population by removing all personal freedoms.

Again, a germ of truth blown out of all reasonable proportion.


In any event, you can find the genesis of this discussion - the exchanges that precipitated this blog post - here.  (You’ll have to scroll down a ways in the comments.)

All of this started when I posted a rebuttal from Dr. Kat Montgomery of the Vanderbilt University Medical Centre which called into question the credentials and conclusions of the woman behind the “Plandemic” video, medical researcher Judy Mikovitz.  After reading that critique (and several others here and here), I have become totally convinced that Dr. Mikovits, if she’s not deliberately being malicious and untruthful, is at very least badly misguided.

But saying any of these things just ramps up the conspiracy theorists even more.  One of them sent me a private message telling me I was basically a stooge who hadn’t done my research, because if I had, I would have known that the Bill Gates Foundation funds the Vanderbilt University Medical Centre, which is where the Dr. Montgomery works.   So, her critique is obviously biased, because she’s been bought off by Bill Gates. 

I did a little bit of research on that.  And as you read these numbers, please remember that the new hospital we’re proposing for Cowichan has a proposed cost of at least $600 million dollars.

Got that number in your head?  Good.

Now let’s look at the Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network.  It’s comprised of 56 hospitals, more than 235 physician practices, and more than 35 urgent care, after-hours and walk-in clinics.   Let’s conservatively say that there are 50 hospitals in the network.  Never mind the clinics and all the other stuff.  50 hospitals at a conservative estimate of $500-million dollars each amounts to $2.5 billion dollars just to build them all.  Operating costs?  Equally significant.

In that context, I have found (on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation website,) a total of 3 funding announcements for Vanderbilt, totalling about $1.5 million dollars.    That wouldn’t be enough to keep that gigantic organization running for even one day.

But that’s how it is with conspiracy theorists.  They take a small factoid and somehow spin it up to make their case, without looking at any of the broader context. 

And the very fact that it’s me – the mayor of a mid-sized community on Vancouver Island – that is writing about this topic instantly disqualifies anything I write.  Because I’m a politician.  And I’m part of “government.”   You see, fundamentally, all good conspiracy theories are united in their belief that there is a worldwide cabal of evil people who want to take over society.  This group controls everything, including the media, Hollywood, and of course, politicians.

I'm a politician.  Hence, anything I write is suspect just because I made the questionable decision to run for office, and have thus subjected myself to bribes, blackmail, or whatever else is needed to make sure I don’t “step out of line.”

I’ve actually run into this before.  I have a relative who subscribes to some of this conspiracy stuff, and shortly after I was first elected to Council in 2008, he asked a mutual friend when I had become a member of the the Freemasons.  Because, as he put it, "everybody knows you can’t get elected to political office, especially not municipally, unless you’re a Freemason.  Those guys control all municipal Councils.”

Again, I did a little research on where such a goofy idea could have come from.  It has its origins in post-feudal England, where - when village Councils first started to form - the most-often-elected person to the position of Mayor was the head of the local Masonic Lodge, who was referred to in that Lodge as the “most worshipful one.”  So that’s where the term “Your Worship” comes from when addressing a mayor.    Again, a germ of truth blown out of all reasonable proportion.

I first ran into the conspiracy theorists during my radio journalism days in Alberta back in the 1970’s.  And since then, I’ve become convinced that in most cases, if you scratch beneath the surface, you’ll find every single one of these conspiratorialists - either intentionally or otherwise - are anti-Semitic.

Some of you will remember Jim Keegstra, the high school history teacher from Eckville, Alberta, who taught his students for years that there was a worldwide Zionist conspiracy.  The Holocaust - he argued - was a massive hoax with the express object of ensuring that Jews could never again be subjected to scrutiny because of their history of persecution.  But that this "persecution" wasn't actually "history" at all, it was just a made-up claim.   (There was even a book written about this; the title was something to the effect of "Did Six Million Really Die?"  The author, I believe, testified on Keegstra's behalf at his hate crimes trial.) 

I met some of Keegstra’s fellow-travellers in those days, and one of them gave me a book entitled “None Dare Call it Conspiracy”, which purported to highlight the worldwide domination of the United Nations, the Illuminati, the Council of Foreign Relations, the Rothschilds, the Rockefellers, and other assorted families and organizations - all, of course, with their roots in the great Zionist conspiracy.

And it was then that I decided I would never assent to their bullshit, or any of the stuff peddled by their ilk.  You see, I have a personal family history that has given me some very strong feelings on that front.  My folks got married in Holland, in 1940 – literally on the day that the Nazi’s invaded their home town.  Their church wedding actually had to be postponed because of the invasion.   But the first house they lived in after they got married is still standing. 

You can find it on Google Maps, even
today.   It’s been modified somewhat, but back then, it was a duplex.  My folks lived in the back half.  And for the entire war, they hid two Jews in their attic.  All of this while the front part of the house was occupied by the president of the local chapter of the Nationale Socialistische Bureau - the NSB - which was the Dutch equivalent of the German Nazi Party. 

Of course, this put my parent’s lives at great risk.  If you look at pictures of my folks before and after the war, you can clearly see the stressors; my father had aged about 30 years, lost about 100 pounds, and most of his hair.  My mother – and this is pretty personal – was so badly affected by the stress that her monthly cycle simply stopped before she was 30 years of age.  Premature menopause.  Which is why they were so incredibly surprised when, 12 years after the war ended, she got pregnant.  With me.

All of which to say, I won’t engage in any fulsome way with the conspiracy wingnuts.  They're entitled to their opinions, but any comments they leave on my social media pages in defence of their "position" will be summarily deleted without comment or warning.  (And that includes any disparaging comments on the post linking to this article.)

Life is simply too short for this stuff. 

 

Al Siebring ... is a broadcast journalist by trade, with a career that spanned 40 years of reporting, including the “City Hall” and Legislative Bureaus in Victoria, Edmonton, and Regina.After spending all those years “watching” politicians in action, he decided he’d become one himself when he retired. Al was first elected to North Cowichan council in 2008, and won three consecutive elections for the position of Councillor… and then won a closely-fought mayoral campaign in October of 2018. Al is married to Anne, and has three children and 9 grandkids. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more