Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FRASER INSTITUTE -- Quebec’s public-private pharmacare model provides more generous—and timely—access to new drugs


MONTREAL—Quebec’s universal pharmacare system, which relies on both a public plan and private insurance providers, covers more drugs and provides quicker access to new medicines than other Canadian provinces, finds a new study released today by the Fraser Institute, an independent, non-partisan Canadian public policy think-tank.

Last month, a federally-appointed advisory panel (headed by former Ontario health minister Dr. Eric Hoskins) released a report calling for a government-run taxpayer-funded national pharmacare program—vastly different from Quebec’s system.

The Quebec model is proof that you can have universal—and generous—drug coverage using a mix of public and private insurance,” said Yanick Labrie, Fraser Institute senior fellow and author of Lessons from the Quebec Universal Prescription Drug Insurance Program.

The study finds that Quebec’s public plan provides greater access to prescription drugs than other provincial plans in Canada. For example, of all the drugs approved by Health Canada from 2008 to 2017, 33.4 per cent are listed on Quebec’s public formulary compared to 25.6 per cent in other provinces (on average).

In fact, Quebec’s public plan covers more than 8,000 prescription drugs, while Ontario’s Drug Benefit program covers 4,400.

Quebec also has faster approval times for new medicines compared to other provincial plans. Over the past 10 years, the average wait time for new drugs (between approval by Health Canada and coverage by the public plan) was 477 days in Quebec compared to 674 days in the other provinces.

Crucially, private insurers active in Quebec must provide coverage that is at least equivalent to that of the public plan, although private insurers usually provide expanded coverage to include drugs not covered by Quebec’s public plan.

The study also notes that Quebecers have greatly benefited from faster and easier access to new medicines in terms of health outcomes, and although drug costs have increased since the program was implemented in 1997, there has been a relative decrease in the use of other health services. In fact, Quebec has a lower level of total health spending per capita than in any other province in Canada.

While not perfect, Quebec’s mixed public-private pharmacare model proves that you don’t need a government-run, one-size-fits-all-provinces system to provide universal drug coverage to patients,” Labrie said.

With the issue of pharmacare front and centre, it’s crucial that policymakers—and all Canadians—are aware of Quebec’s pharmacare program.”


READ the Executive SummaryClick Here

READ the Full ReportClick Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORSETH -- If having three un-happy MLA’s leave the party, is what it takes to have unity within caucus, then I say, “Fine; let it be so”

Regrettably, in recent days, issues within the Conservative Party of BC have come to the surface resulting in one member being removed from Caucus (Dallas Brodie) and the party, and two others (Tara Armstrong and Jordan Kealy) leaving of their own accord. As of this morning (Saturday March 8th) all three are now sitting as independents in the BC legislature. So, what does that mean? In the last twenty-four hours social media feeds have lit up with support for leader John Rustad, while others have been negative, accusing the party, and Rustad, of being bullies and not standing up for conservative values. Ryan Painter, who has personally worked with John Rustad, had this to say: Since the beginning, he's had one target: the BC NDP. He knows that British Columbians deserve a government that works for them, delivers on their promises, and doesn't tax them into poverty. He believes in his team and the power of a focused opposition. He knows who the enemy is. He knows BC deserves ...

WARD STAMER: “Hopefully he’s actually listening to what people have to say, and not just showing up for a photo op”

In his latest travels across the province, BC Forest Minister Ravi Parmar touched down in the Okanagan. A trip essentially, he said, to be on the ground meeting industry people. I read what he had to say, and about how he has been tasked with getting more timber to market. Let me start by saying, “ He hasn’t been tasked. He and Premier Eby guaranteed 45 million cubic metres of available wood fibre – they guaranteed that .” BC Timber Sales is a government agency within the provincial forest’s ministry, which is responsible for managing a portion of the province's Crown timber; specifically, 20 percent of the province's annual allowable cut. Unfortunately, BC Timber Sales did not provide anywhere near that amount last year, it was just 12.2 percent. Three years ago, BC mills cut 52 million metres of wood, bringing in nearly $2 billion dollars to the provincial treasury. That figure doesn’t include the taxes from 55,700 people directly employed in the industry, nor from the tens o...

Conservative Opposition demonstrates focused and policy-oriented approach in first four weeks of the legislative session

In the first four weeks of the legislative session, the Conservative Official Opposition has scored significant policy wins as it proves every day that the Conservative team has fresh ideas and real-world experience to bring to the table. At the same time, the NDP government has been listless, struggling to find a policy agenda that addresses the problems that British Columbians are facing. “This NDP government led by David Eby has tried to do everything under the sun to distract from their disastrous fiscal record and the fact that they are utterly out of ideas,” said Conservative Opposition Leader John Rustad. “They’ve tried to use the U.S. President to deflect from their eye-popping $11 billion deficit, the worst business confidence in the country, and the fact that they’ve created almost zero private sector jobs. This is no way to run a province or an economy.” Since the legislative session started on February 18th with the Throne Speech, the opposition...

Labels

Show more