Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

LOGIC BE DAMNED … that traffic light is going in anyway

 


A major project by the City of Kamloops on Highland Road between Valleyview arena and the highway, is now well underway. This project includes the installation of new water and sewer mains, installation of a new sidewalk from the highway to Valleyview Drive, along with repaving at the bottom of Highland up to the arena as well as on Flamingo Road – it’s all much needed work.

One so-called improvement, however, just doesn’t make sense and that’s the plan to install traffic signals at the intersection of Highland and Valleyview Drive.

While I’m no technical engineer when it comes to road design, as a thirty-year resident of Juniper Ridge, I think I have a fairly good grasp of how well that intersection currently works – and it works just fine, thank you very much. Despite that, the City of Kamloops traffic / engineering department has decided this intersection is in desperate need of a traffic light.

According to an individual in the know (let’s call them Bill), the decision dates back several years and is just now on the radar of city staff; it was made based on traffic templates, and the number of vehicles. Interesting thing though – logic played no role in the decision – because operational decisions are made based on the expertise of city traffic engineers.

Because I had a few observations and concerns about the decision to install the traffic light, at ‘Bill’s’ suggestion, I called the traffic / engineering department at the City of Kamloops to personally ask about how and why it was made.

The first is that I am not aware of anyone that has ‘asked’ to have this change made, and there was definitely NO attempt made to ask residents in the area if this was something they thought was necessary.

Traffic already moves smoothly through this intersection with the current 4-way stop. I use that intersection at a variety of times during the day, and there is really never any big hold-up to get through; the exception of course being right now with the amount of traffic being diverted to Valleyview Drive due to the closure of Highland between the highway and Flamingo Road.

I got the same response as ‘Bill’ did. They’ve done traffic counts, studied safety issues, looked at similar situations in other cities, and used their ‘expertise’ as traffic engineers to make the determination.

There is a bigger concern which I also raised; a safety issue which I guaranteed will come up this winter. Come winter snowfalls, and before city snowplows are able to get to Highland, many drivers have carefully used the four-way stop as a ‘Yield’, and slowly roll through the intersection so as to maintain traction to get up the hill. With the coming installation of a traffic light however that will no longer be possible.

Worse though, is traffic coming down the hill. The intersection of Highland and Valleyview is often times extremely slick and that causes some vehicles, unable to stop, to slide right into the intersection. I have not only seen this happen to others, who were driving cautiously, it has happened to me as well.

I honestly did not get any kind of response as to this foreseeable situation other than they were using their expertise.  AGAIN … no logic was factored into the decision.

There was one additional nugget of information that I got from the individual I spoke with at the city traffic / engineering department – that’s regarding the extension of a permanent roadway in Juniper Ridge, through to Rose Hill Road. This apparently is supposed to be some kind of solution to the ‘problem’ of Highland being the only exit from Juniper.

I pointed out that Rose Hill Road, being extremely narrow and winding, can barely maintain the traffic that currently uses it, which would therefore require substantial work to make it safe for the additional drivers – all of which I’m sure would require millions of dollars. The individual I spoke with indicated that sourcing funding was being explored as it would indeed need a major upgrade.

I guess, for me, there is one takeaway from this situation and that’s ...

LOGIC BE DAMNED, that traffic light is going in anyway regardless of it’s need, or safety issues that will come about because of it’s installation.

Not to worry though. Apparently, once the light is in, city traffic engineers will monitor the situation. To what end I have no idea, as once the deed is done there’s no going back, without the added expenses of what would likely be a LOT of money.

There is one solution, however.

Use logic, AND common sense.

Don’t install the traffic light.


Comments

  1. Traffic light is needed or a roundabout, half the neighbour hoods children will now be attending school down the hill, the four way stop is the dumbest intersection I have ever seen as a driver! This is necessary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously have not driven Vicars road and the ETCH Frontage intersection

      Delete
  2. I use that intersection every day. Several times a day and have done so for over 20 years. I have personally seen at least 15 fender benders and 2 very serious accidents. People blowing thru the stop signs at a fairly good speed. I have seen many people not understand how a four way works. And many more not care. Using their middle finger to gain the right of way. My children now drive thru there and I fear for their safety every day. Bring. On. The. Light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your clear article..personally I think its time for a roundabout…it gives safe traffic flow..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more