Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Good news! There is finally room for a Conservative party in BC



Or I guess I could have titled this commentary after the Little Texas song, "It's Time To Be Loud and Proud"

Some might say (and indeed have done so) that it's, "Time to recruit Diane Watts as the leader of the BC Conservatives."  Well for starters, she probably isn't interested, but if she was I'd say, "Please ... NO ... the party does NOT need some one else's hand-me-down!"

Many would say that she has true conservative bona-fides, but then if that's the case, why is she a BC Liberal?   She ran as a BC Liberal leadership candidate. ... she lost as a BC LIBERAL leadership candidate ... and BC Conservatives should not even think of considering her.

I say that not simply because of what just happened on Saturday evening, on the fifth and final round of voting for the BC Liberal leadership, but rather, because of what happened six years ago.  


In 2011, the BC Conservative Party was looking for individuals to consider filling the role of leader, and for their to be a leadership race.  Former federal MP John Cummins was eventually named leader by acclimation, however another name (among others) was also floated at the time -- that of Surrey Mayor Dianne Watt. 

She declined.

I certainly don't want her to now consider us because she has no other choice. She made her bed in a very public way as a BC Liberal, so let her sleep in it.

And here, likely, is the best reason why this discussion is a waste of time anyway.  Dianne Watts indicated, win, lose or draw, she would be seeking a seat as an MLA for the BC Liberal Party.

She has hitched her wagon to the BC Liberal party, which by it's very name and ties, is closely affiliated with Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party of Canada.  New leader Andrew Wilkinson is cut of the same cloth as federal Liberals.

And it's not just me saying it.  These are but a handful of responses, and comments, on my Social media feeds; all echoing pretty much the same thing.

Ray Power:
Sounds like the Ignatieff the federal Liberals elected (in 2008). We all know how well that worked

(Wishes to remain) Anonymous:
Good news! There is finally room for a Conservative party in BC.  So easy to define Wilkinson as a bureaucrats’ bureaucrat, Mr. Big government, elitist know-it-all and completely un-relatable.

Wayne Marklund:
I must admit that I worked on the Dianne Watts campaign, and saw a strong group of dedicated folks that believed she could be the change needed for the center right.

I am amazed how federal Conservatives continue to support the BC Liberals after watching Falcon lose to Clark in the previous leadership race.  "A true believer" is the term used by federal Liberals, and now (with) Wilkinson another true believer (like Clark), wins.

I think its time to wake up and smell the coffee!

Alan Quatermain:
The truth is half their line up was made up of old hats like watts and that stooge stone and a few others. You want new blood bring in new people ...

Sean Smith:
Listening to him (Andrew Wilkinson), after the Provincial Election, spinning the Liberals "win" and going on about how great the party is and how great their leader was......was nauseating. Even now, listening to him talk about the ICBC debacle as being the NDP's fault and problem. Another leader disconnected from the reality of the BC his party created and not prepared for the province that the NDP is about to mess with.....

Let's finally call a spade a spade ... a Liberal is a Liberal is a Liberal (as my friend Loren Maluorno said).  Argue with me all you want but a conservative cannot be a liberal, nor can a liberal be a conservative.  Round pegs, do not fit in square holes.

It's time for small 'c' conservatives to be, as Little Texas sang, "Loud and Proud"

I'll rise to any occasion, I am not afraid
To be loud and proud, and givin' in to nothin'

Livin' and a lovin', I'll never get enough
And all the ups and downs, I take 'em as they come
And I'll be right here standing my ground
... Loud and Proud

In Kamloops, I'm Alan Forseth.  Got a comment to make?  This is your chance to share it now.

Comments

  1. Much of what you have written is true but I'm not sure I agree with slagging people who vote Conservative federally and Liberal provincially. I think I've been a federal Conservative for longer than most provincial Conservatives have been alive.
    The lack of support for the BCCP is an issue of the party's own making and is no fault of provincial or federal Liberals.
    I maintain my federal Conservative membership but have been loathe to jump aboard the frequently rudderless and truly leaderless BCCP.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more