Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

BC Liberals say ... NDP’s education report card is bad news for students and families

As the NDP enter their fourth year in power, BC Liberal Critic for Education Dan Davies is raising concerns about the NDP’s years of broken promises and what challenges the COVID-19 pandemic will bring for students and families for the upcoming school year.

The NDP promised to eliminate portables in Surrey within four years but instead, they’ve added 97 more portables and increased the total by 35 per cent,” said Davies MLA for Peace River-North.

In May, the NDP chose to slash 20 per cent of the funding to Independent Distributed Learning — a program that provides distance learning for many of British Columbia’s most vulnerable students — despite promising they wouldn’t. The NDP’s three years of inaction and broken promises have done very little to help students and families and they have good reason to be upset with the direction of this government.”

Parents and students have been patient and managed the uncertainty of this past school year as school districts dealt with COVID-19, but with the looming challenge of resuming classes in September, teachers and families are anxious for government to have a plan and the appropriate supports in place for the fall.

Despite requests from teachers and families across BC. for additional PPE in classrooms and a clear back-to-school plan, the government has so far failed to deliver on either request.

After writing a letter on behalf of families and pressing this Minister repeatedly in the legislature, we finally got him to commit to having a back-to-school plan in place no later than July 29,” added Davies.

Considering the NDP’s track record, I am still concerned that parents and students will be dealt with another broken promise with little time to prepare for the upcoming school year. For the safety of our schools and our children, we will continue to press the NDP to have a viable plan in place by July 29.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more