Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

THE SIDEWINDER – Growing Old Is Fun

When I was quite young (more than 60 years ago), I contemplated the possibility that I might actually live until the year 2000 and would thereby see the turn of the century.


At the time, I wondered who  wants to be 60 years old? It seemed like dinosaur years to me but, now that several months ago I celebrated my 80th birthday, my attitude has drastically changed. Nowadays I look hopefully towards possibly completing a century here ON planet Earth before being placed IN the terra firma of the planet.

My attitude about age and aging isn't the only thing that has changed in my approach to life. I have grown crustier and less understanding of those with whom I disagree. I don't think I've changed that much but some of you folks must suffer from a diminished mental acuity as your arguments seem to lack the clarity and pure logic of my own scholarly outlook on various subjects.

One thing about me which hasn't changed is my small 'c' conservative approach to politics which I believe to be the natural inclination of most intelligent Canadians.

Before you left-leaning tree-hugging socialists and liberals start your very predictable rants, let me emphasize that I said small 'c' conservative.

I haven't held a membership in any provincial political party for many years, other than a very brief foray into the ranks of the British Columbia Conservative Party (BCCP).

Prior to the last provincial election, I attended an annual meeting of the Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows BCCP constituency association where a quorum of ten members was required to make the meeting official. Only seven members had attended and I think I was the youngest.

To say that the leadership of the British Columbia Conservative Party at that time lacked charisma, or political savoir faire, is a huge understatement. The Rhinoceros Party of several decades ago had more energy and probably more members.

As an added indication of the moribund nature of the party, it took almost three years of steady prodding on my part to get my name struck from their membership rolls and mailing list.

Local politics also leave me cold as so many well meaning but inept candidates are elected. Even though some intelligent folks are successful, in many cases their dim-witted opponents outnumber them.

Then there is the hate factor which is present in almost every major public issue.

A good case in point are the Facebook hate sites which supposedly exist to protect us, or warn us, of some evil or other. Too many of them can offer only hateful rants without offering any real solutions to the social problems plaguing our communities.

At one time, I was probably one of the loudest ranters amongst these folks but I've mellowed significantly.

Now that I'm definitely on the fringes of political stuff, I can freely state that I no longer care because I know that hate never solved anything.

I'm almost as old as dirt and it doesn't much matter to me if people approve or disapprove of my stated opinions.

After all, if they really don't like it, why are they reading this stuff and what sanctions can they impose on me?

I guess they always complain to Facebook which can take away my privileges.

SANDY Macdougall ... is a retired newspaper reporter. He was elected for three consecutive terms to Maple Ridge municipal council in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and also ran for the Progressive Conservatives in Kim Campbell's ill-fated federal election campaign. He now makes his home in the BC interior community of Kelowna.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more