Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

RICK PETERSON – Childcare? Let’s think outside the box!

The following is a “Bottom Line” commentary from Rick Peterson, who is currently seeking the Conservative Party of Canada nomination for the federal riding of Edmonton – Strathcona.  This is currently the only seat, held by the NDP, in the province of Alberta.

 

 

I remember clearly the day, when I was a young father, that I got a phone call at the office at 1:45 in the afternoon, in the middle of a hot summer day, that has since forever shaped the way that I think of child care.

 

Hi Rick. Sorry to bother you, but I have a bit of a problem.”

 

Oh-oh. This can’t be good.

 

It was the young woman who my wife and I had hired to look after our two-year-old son. With a long waiting list for daycare and no suitable private alternatives in our neighborhood, and with both of us working hard at different businesses in offices across town from home to make ends meet, we’d found someone who would come into our home every day and babysit our son.

 

We went out for a picnic this afternoon and I just got a flat tire. Plus, the baby looks like he has a fever. And I ran out of diapers. Can you come out and get us?”

 

Of course, I did. Even though it meant writing off a whole afternoon at work.

 

As I rushed out the front door, throwing on my jacket, I caught the elevator door on the 18th floor and squeezed in just before it shut. And there, inside the elevator, I found a woman who had eight little boys and girls all holding a rope, wearing blue vests, smiling and clearly excited.

 

Where are you kids going?” I asked the little girl standing next to me.

 

To the park for a picnic,” she replied with a sweet smile, missing one front tooth. “Do you want to come?”.

 

I would have loved to, but obviously couldn’t. But by the time we arrived on the ground floor, I learned that these lucky children were cared for in the offices of a large utility company that was three floors above mine.

 

What I wouldn’t have given to have that option for my son. And I found out later that this day care space, which was overseen by a fully qualified child care professional, was considered to be one of the perks that attracted top employees to the utility company.

 

No kidding.

 

I thought about this again recently when I read articles about how working mothers in Canada trying to go back to work after a COVID-imposed break can’t find child care.

 

We need to find a solution for that.

 

Should daycare support be a role for the federal government? No, of course not.

 

The range of child care options in Canada is varied, with the provinces and territories providing most of the funding.

 

In my view, we need the private sector to step up and help parents in the work force find quality and affordable child care at or very near their place of work.

 

Here’s a key chart from a Statistics Canada report that provides an excellent overview of child care in Canada today.

 


 

The key takeaway is this: the overwhelming factor in a parent making a child care decision is the location of the child care facility. If it’s close to work – that’s hugely positive.

 

The Bottom Line on this issue is the following:

 

We need to do everything we can to encourage private sector employers to provide child care facilities at or near their place of work. Smart employers will realize what a huge benefit this is to retain top talent – and it’s not given away freely. Parents still have to pay, and they will, believe me.

 

How do we make this happen?  Let’s think outside the box.


Let’s advance this idea the same way we have the push for more diversity on our corporate boards. Putting pressure on directors. Making it a top consideration in corporate governance. Raising awareness. Taking a leadership role on an issue that needs to be addressed.

 

The Bottom Line here is that as Conservative MP for Edmonton Strathcona, I’ll be a bold voice in government and in front of private sector colleagues to start to look for innovative solutions.

 

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

 

Rick Peterson

Email: info@rickcpc.ca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper to step down for Conservative Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to run in a by-election

Deputy Whip and MLA Reann Gasper has informed the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia of her decision to step down as MLA for Abbotsford-Mission, creating an opportunity for Conservative Party of British Columbia Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to seek the seat in a forthcoming by-election. Gasper said the decision was made carefully and deliberately, with the future of British Columbia firmly in mind. Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper “This is a decision I have made after a great deal of careful consideration, and I believe it is the right decision for me, for our Party, and for the work ahead,” said MLA Gasper. “It has been a privilege to represent the people of Abbotsford-Mission, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who placed their trust in me. I am also grateful for the opportunity to serve alongside my colleagues in the Conservative Caucus and to contribute to our leadership team.” “I have confidence in Kerry-Lynne, in her leadership, and in her ability to ...

NDP Sits on $61 Million With No Start Date for Burnaby Hospital

Phase 2 of Burnaby Hospital redevelopment  was green lit to go ahead in September 2023 The NDP spent $45 million on the Burnaby Hospital redevelopment, cancelled the second phase, and now has another $61 million listed for the project in the province’s Public Accounts, with no start date for construction. If the NDP cancelled the project, what is happening to the $61 million set aside for it? The Phase 2 project was expected to cost between $1.7 billion and $1.8 billion and was intended to expand the hospital’s capacity. With Burnaby’s population growing and residents struggling to access healthcare, the government should be investing in healthcare capacity, not leaving millions of dollars tied up in limbo. “The NDP spent $45 million on this project before cancelling it, and now $61 million remains listed for it in the Public Accounts,” said MLA Misty Van Popta, Shadow Minister for Infrastructure. “If the government isn’t going to build the hospital expansion, it should explain whe...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Labels

Show more