Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

STEPHEN WOODWORTH -- Who Should I Vote For?

I endorse both Leslyn Lewis and Derek Sloan (who I mention in this order simply alphabetically, without suggesting a preference) for the position of Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada!

 

Derek Sloan and Leslyn Lewis each possess the character and the skills needed to guide our team of candidates to victory. More importantly, Leslyn and Derek have each offered a suite of policies which, if implemented, will pull Canada back from the brink of the terrible precipice to which we have been brought in recent years.

 

Good government is not about imposing our views upon an unwilling population.

 

It’s also not about swaying in the breeze of every passing twitter storm! Good government means the middle path of firm and confident advocacy for measures designed to benefit all Canadians, advocacy which builds consensus! Derek and Leslyn each have the determination and the sensitivity to achieve that level of leadership.

 

Democratic leadership is not about dictating “my way or the highway.”

 

It’s also not about meekly standing by while policy is hijacked for the benefit of a few at the expense of the many! Democratic leadership means the balance to ensure ordinary people, Party members and the electorate alike, are fully informed about policy choices, through thorough debate, and then accepting the wisdom of those grassroots decision-makers, even when we might not fully agree. Leslyn and Derek each have a deep and abiding confidence in democratic process.

 

Most importantly, for me, both Derek and Leslyn embrace the fundamentally important legal principle which recognizes the inherent dignity and equal and inalienable rights of every member of the human family. No one who votes to sustain a law which falsely denies the humanity of any human being, as one of the other two leadership candidates has done, can claim that distinction!

 

Leslyn Lewis and Derek Sloan will fill the first two places on my ballot, and I hope they will fill the first two places on your ballot too!

 

I hope you won’t fall into the trap of demanding perfection of any candidate.

 

I don’t agree with every policy of any single candidate, just as I don’t agree with every policy adopted by the members of the Conservative Party. If anyone does, then they simply aren’t thinking hard enough! There are hundreds of policy issues and multiple responses to each one.

 

There’s plenty of room for reasonable, like-minded, people to disagree on the details and still support one another! If you and I want a Leader who agrees with you and me about everything, one of us had better run for the Leadership ourselves!

 

Some policies are truly beyond the pale, but none of Derek’s or Leslyn’s policies falls into that category.

 

In fact, the only policy I’ve seen expressed in this Leadership contest which I find utterly insupportable is a policy which insults, condemns, and suppresses, the peaceful personal values of any Canadian, from Andrew Scheer down to the least of us!

 

One final word needs to be spoken. I have told each of Leslyn and Derek that I will not publicly prefer one over the other. After serious thought, I concluded that there is no reason for me to publicly prefer one over the other.

 

In the happy case where one or the other finds themselves contending in the final ballot, their relative support will not depend upon anyone’s endorsement but on their own merits as found by our members. 

 

Leadership contests inevitably, but unfortunately, involve contrasting the merits of one candidate against the flaws of another. Endorsing any one candidate inescapably constitutes a judgement on the others. If no sufficient purpose is served, I won’t do that. In this case, I’d be pleased to see either Derek Sloan or Leslyn Lewis elected as Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada.

 

I won’t ask you to prefer one over the other. I’ll leave that to your judgement.

 

But please put both Leslyn Lewis and Derek Sloan at the top of your ballot! For the sake of Party unity and grassroots democracy!

 

For the sake of sound policy based on principles of justice and human rights!

 

For the sake of a Canada where the first priority of government is the welfare of every Canadian!

 

Stephen Woodworth ... was Member of Parliament for Kitchener Centre (Conservative) from 2008 to 2015, after having practised law in his riding for almost 30 years.

He studied Political Science at Wilfrid Laurier University for 2 years, followed by attaining his Bachelor of Laws from the University of Western Ontario. He served in local government as a School Trustee from 1994 to 2003. He is a lifelong community volunteer and political activist, and the Executive Director of The Democracy Defence Initiative.

He and his wife of 44 year, Sharon (a retired Ontario Justice of the Peace), have 3 children and 7 grand-children.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more