Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Surrey Double Homicide Exposes Years of NDP Inaction on Public Safety


Macklin McCall, Critic for Solicitor General & Public Safety, is demanding the BC NDP government answer for the deadly gang violence in Surrey over the weekend that left two people dead and two others seriously injured.

On Sunday evening, two men were shot and killed in an underground parkade on 133B Street near 70B Avenue. Earlier that morning, two more men were shot outside a gas station at 72nd Avenue and 152 Street, both transported to hospital with serious injuries. A vehicle was found burning near 144 Street and 84 Avenue shortly after the homicides.

This tragedy is the inevitable consequence of a public safety crisis years in the making. In the past two years alone, Surrey has recorded 96 reported extortion's, 16 shootings, and 2 arson's, resulting in 51 victims.

“Surrey has been sounding the alarm on violent crime for years. Families are afraid, businesses are under threat. This government has had every opportunity to step up on public safety and has repeatedly chosen not to,” said McCall.

The NDP’s record on policing follows a consistent pattern of under-investment.  

Since 2012, the NDP has not added a single provincial RCMP officer,” said McCall. “A visible police presence is one of the most effective deterrents to violent crime. This government’s failure to invest in public safety was a choice, made repeatedly, year after year.”

McCall noted that the conditions enabling this violence extend well beyond Surrey. “This government stood by as violent crime persisted in communities across the province. That prolonged inaction sent a signal: that criminal activity could expand without consequence,” said McCall.

"When a government allows criminal networks to operate unchecked for months before acting, it does not contain the problem. It emboldens it," said McCall. 

"Surrey residents and people across the province are now dealing with the consequences of the NDP’s failure. Two men are dead. That is the cost of this government's inaction, and it is a cost British Columbians should never have been asked to pay" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more