Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

DIETER DUDY -- It's All About Respect -- or conversely -- Feel Free to Disagree ... But Do It With Dignity



I will freely admit that at times I have a hard time restraining myself, when it comes to the choice of words I use when writing a post.  In fact, many time it will take several rewrites to tone things down.  I like to think it's because I am passionate about what I believe -- and that of course I am right -- ie: my opinion is the correct one :)

Well the truth is, I'm not always right, and so care in the way I should handle things is important (but not always followed 100% of the time). 

That's why yesterday (March 16th), I was delighted to see a short post by Dieter Dudy.  I asked permission to share it here with you, and so here it is:



We all have our own opinions regarding many, many issues that we encounter on a daily basis. These opinions are often at odds with others and yet we have the right to communicate them passionately and with conviction. What we should never do however is make it personal by denigrating the other individual or group's opinion. It diminishes what we have to say as well as how we are seen by others.




I do not always agree with the points of view expressed by my colleagues, or those in my community, but respect their right to not only have them, but to be able to express them.

We have many avenues available to us to let people know how we feel on issues; letters to the editor, on-line comments, public gatherings, social media etc. We may come under fire for our opinions as people counter with opposing points of view.

All healthy...as long as one element is a constant. Respect!

Always treat those holding a contra-view with the respect that you would expect them to accord you. No good ever comes from slagging people or their opinions...nothing ever gets solved in the mire.

Feel free to disagree...but do it with dignity.





DIETER DUDY:

Dieter was born in Germany and raised in Kitimat.  He met his wife Deb Kellogg, who grew up in Kamloops, in Victoria and has been married for 34+ years. They have two adult children.  His passion for sustainability led him to purchase and develop a 10 acre property where he and Deb have successfully established an organic vegetable farm and business.


Dieter has had many roles in local area farmers’ markets, the BC Association of Farmers’ Markets, the Certified Organic Association of BC, as well as the local certifying body, the Kamloops Voter’s Society and was one of the original members of the steering committee that founded Gardengate (a therapeutic centre for individuals with mental health issues), and with others helped to develope the Kamloops Agricultural Plan.

Dieter is currently a Director with Farm2Chef and continues to be passionate about food security, economic diversity and fiscal responsibility.

And if that wasn't already enough to keep him busy, Dieter is also a Councillor with the City of Kamloops (elected November 2014).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more