Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- A key to success on the other puzzles, I'm trying to solve, will always be persistence, positivity and belief that all the pieces are on the table


I have been taking the time to learn about myself. However, as I near my 44th birthday, I'm still a complex puzzle that requires patience, long-suffering and stick-to-it-iveness to figure out.

Totem In The Mist
We are not born with an operating manual and, adding to the challenge, are the countless influences of all the other humans around us who are also trying to figure out how to best optimize their operations as well.

It really set in on me when one of my children was having challenges balancing their emotional response, to a disappointment; euphemism for having a melt down.

It was becoming increasingly clear that I did not have the necessary skills to de-escalate the situation as I would have liked. The last thing I wanted was for a counsellor much later in life to uncover this particular event as the root of "the problem."

Understanding how to get the best performance out of our minds and bodies is a process of trial and error.

I've learned over the past several years that I need to stay busy. It's why I have such a difficult time taking a break and actually vacating on my vacation. Resting my mind is not easy. It is always processing something and so that is why I find my job as an MLA so fulfilling - there is no lack of issues and ideas to let my mind process.

However, it is not healthy to just be constantly working. Even though I have an insanely high capacity, I get tired, and exhaustion negatively affects the volume and quality of my work. Additionally, I become emotionally vulnerable. So, finding a balance and adopting techniques that allows me to keep my mind processing, while vacating my work, is important.


Thankfully I have my family.

They keep me running and challenge me with situations that I learn I'm ill-prepared to deal with. In addition, over the recent holiday season I found another outlet. I started solving puzzles of another kind. As it turns out "Totem Pole in the Mist" is ridiculously difficult. Like life, none of the pieces are standard and all the colours lack definition.

Finally, after investing many hours of processing, I finally pieced together the full picture — a solid reminder that a key to success on the other puzzles I'm trying to solve will always be persistence, positivity and belief that all the pieces are on the table.

Adam Olsen (SȾHENEP) loves his job as a provincial MLA for Saanich North and the Islands. He was first elected in May 2017, and is currently the interim leader of the BC Green Party.

Born in Victoria, BC in 1976, Adam has lived, worked and played his entire life on the Saanich Peninsula. He is a member of Tsartlip First Nation (W
̱JOȽEȽP), where he and his wife, Emily, are raising their two children, Silas and Ella.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more