Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Conservative MLA Scott McInnis Calls on Premier Eby to Clarify Private Property Rights on Haida Gwaii After Covert Court Declaration

BC Govt News -- April 2024 

Conservative MLA Scott McInnis, Deputy Critic for Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation, is calling on Premier David Eby to immediately clarify whether private property rights on Haida Gwaii remain valid after his government supported a court declaration embedding Aboriginal title into the Constitution, just weeks after the Cowichan Tribes judgment removed statutory protections for fee-simple land.

In 2024, the Eby government negotiated and legislated recognition of Aboriginal title to 100 per cent of Haida Gwaii, including private property, assuring residents that statutory protections under the Land Title Act would safeguard fee-simple land. 

In
August 2025, the Cowichan Tribes judgment ruled that sections 23 and 25 of the Land Title Act do not apply to Aboriginal title, effectively nullifying those protections. 

Despite knowing this, Premier Eby supported a
September 4 court declaration that constitutionalized Aboriginal title over private property on Haida Gwaii. The government issued no public notice or statement, and when questioned, Minister Spencer Chandra Herbert admitted he was unaware of the proceeding, while Attorney General Niki Sharma dismissed it as merely “tying up loose ends.”

McInnis stated, “legal experts are openly disputing the Premier’s claim, implied in his so-called Haida Gwaii ‘template,’ that Aboriginal title and fee-simple ownership can coexist on the same land title. The Cowichan judgment warned against exactly that risk, yet this government ignored it and doubled down, writing the contradiction into law on Haida Gwaii.”

As former provincial counsel on Indigenous law
Geoffrey Moyse, KC, warned last week, “if the declaration of Aboriginal title on Haida Gwaii has rendered private property unprotected by the Land Title Act”, then “the integrity of private property title may well rest on the word and at the pleasure of the Haida Nation, a scenario that presents as a legal nightmare, not a template to emulate.”

The Conservative Caucus is calling on the government to:

  • Clarify immediately whether fee-simple titles on Haida Gwaii remain valid following the September 4 consent order
  • Pause negotiating Aboriginal title where claims overlap private property until the government releases a clear and transparent policy and roadmap as the government has lost public confidence.
  • Publicly release all ongoing negotiations and litigation involving Aboriginal title or declarations.


Commit
to pursuing balanced, transparent treaty negotiations as the sole path to reconciliation.

“The government’s silence has already eroded public trust,” McInnis said. “Transparency is the foundation of reconciliation, and the Eby NDP has replaced it with secrecy.”

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more