Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FRANK LEONARD: I never asked Larry if he indeed did remember Ken because it doesn’t matter. Larry had given a priceless gift to Ken and his family and that was all that mattered.


Our family business had a relationship with a local sportscaster for promotions.  Ken Dobson*, known as ‘The Dobber,’ became a dear friend who passed away much too soon.

Montreal Canadian Larry Robinson
Ken started his career in Montreal, and often spoke of his friendship with sports legends, so I immediately phoned him when we booked hockey great Larry Robinson for an autograph signing event at our store.

Ken was ill then but his frail voice was excited and he said he’d stop by with his son and grandson.   

When my father and I had lunch with Larry, before the event, I said that Ken would attend yet Larry seemed puzzled and asked that I point him out when he arrived.  So, when Ken approached with his family I whispered in Larry’s ear “that’s Ken Dobson, ‘the Dobber.’”

When Larry Robinson interrupted his signing of autographs, got up from his chair and exclaimed “Ken Dobson, my goodness, how is ‘The Dobber’”, Ken’s smile momentarily hid his illness. 

Larry posed with Ken, his son and grandson and personalized an autograph that the grandson wouldn’t let go of.  It was the last time I saw Ken but it was a moment that still brings a tear to my eye. 

I never asked Larry if he indeed did remember Ken – because it doesn’t matter – Larry had given a priceless gift to Ken and his family and that was all that mattered.

Within our community Ken was a celebrity in his own right, and as I succeeded in politics, I too became a ‘big fish in a small pond.’  When I attended community events, spoke to a classroom of students or even when I was approached in the grocery story, I realized that meeting the Mayor was a big deal for some. 

Years later I am amazed when an adult with child in tow comes up and remarks about the time I spoke at their grad ceremony, and posed with them for pictures afterwards.  Perhaps it was just one more ‘grip and grin’ assignment for me but for others it was a ‘once in a lifetime’ moment to meet the Mayor.

As time went by and titles were added, I got to be a fish in bigger ponds but obviously never approached the status of Larry Robinson – however, the example he set stuck with me. 

I’m grateful for that moment between him and Ken Dobson, and always tried to remember that what was routine for me might be a very special memory for others.  As I speak with newly-elected local politicians, I urge them to do the same.


*
Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame:

Ken "The Dobber" Dobson (1923 to 1995) was a colourful and much-loved long-time radio announcer and Sports Director in Victoria at CFAX 1070.  He was well known for his exuberance and positive attitude to life and life's achievements. 
Started in 1994, The Ken Dobson Invitational Golf Tournament (The Dobber Classic) carries on his love of sports and the sporting community to this day. The Dobber Classic is organized by the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame.
CFAX initiated the Ken Dobson Athletic Scholarship in his memory; the recipient being a graduating grade 12 student who is active in sports.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more