Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

PUHALLO: This is a good learning experience for anyone who is applying for any position: your Linkedin is your professional online resume, and Facebook is your personal online resume


NOTE:
Five days ago, on his Facebook page, Stephen Puhallo wrote a commentary regarding the hiring of the Chamber of Commerce new Executive Director, John Perks.  This, following the firestorm of controversy the hiring had created.  Since then, in what was called a tersely worded media release, Chamber president Joshua Knaak says John Perks "will not be employed as its executive director".  Regardless, I believe Stephen had some valid comments to make, which is why I asked for his permission to re-post his comments. This is what he had to say:

 
John Perks "will not be employed
as its executive director"

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" ~Voltaire

If any of you have been following the crazy social media storm around the new Executive Director for the Kamloops Chamber of Commerce, remember that quote.

I understand the posts about "If you are the public face of a public organization, you need to be more careful, and more balanced in what you post on social media..."

I totally agree with that.

When I was the Executive Director of the North Shore Business Improvement Association, I was very conscious of what I posted on my social media. Both during the selection process -- and when I was the public voice of that organization.

Some have attacked Mr. Perks based upon partisan posts he had up about American and Canadian political issues and politicians.

This is a good learning experience for anyone who is applying for any position: your Linkedin is your professional online resume, and Facebook is your personal online resume.

Don't forget that, because it is part of the new reality of social interaction and personal presentation. I truly believe Mr. Perks now understands that concept better than most, and how important that is to the people of this area!

But what does it say about us, and our values, when we disparage an individual we have not met and do not know?


What does it say about the people who have maligned someone because their political, philosophical, or personal beliefs do not align with their own? Who is the real bigot then?

Where is the bias now being shown?

Many of us post things to our social media not because we agree with everything in the article or post, but because we want to introduce a topic or idea and see what our friends or followers think about it.

I do that all the time and learn from the thoughtful, and sometimes not so thoughtful, comments and conversation that follows. I don't know if this was the case with Mr. Perks's posts, I also don't know if it wasn't. Any evaluation of Mr. Perks as an Executive Director should be based on the person, not the posts.

There is a difference between being "political" and being "partisan". Industry and business groups, by their very nature of being advocates for their membership, should be very "political". You can do this without being "partisan".

If the Chamber Board and its members believe they have the right person for the job, that's their decision to make. The Chamber is funded through its membership and its events. It's not a taxpayer-supported entity. This is their decision to make and to stand by, or change at their discretion.

So, let's take a breath, walk away from the keyboard, put down our mobile or tablet, get outside, and enjoy some wonderful Kamloops spring weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more