Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

SUITS AND BOOTS: The Senate indeed has the power to kill C69 … we are calling on them to again exercise their power of sober second thought


Senators call on Suits and Boots for Bill C-69 input ~~ March 28, 2019

Suits and Boots has been invited to appear before the Senate committee examining Bill C-69.   The organization’s founder, Rick Peterson, and Honorary Chair Brad Schell, a retired oil patch hauler from High River, Alberta will appear at the hearings being held by the Standing Senate committee on Energy, the Environment and Natural Resources in Calgary on Tuesday, April 9.

This is an amazing honour,” said Peterson, an Edmonton businessman who launched the not-for-profit with six investment industry colleagues last April, “and we’re humbled that the Senators would like to hear the voices of our 3,700 members from coast to coast.”

This invitation is testimony to the hard work and persuasive abilities of every one of our supporters who phoned, emailed and wrote the Senate about this campaign since we launched it last September. And the fact that our lobbying on behalf of Andrew Roman to appear before the committee also paid off as well is doubly gratifying.”

Mr. Roman is a retired Toronto litigator whose views on the Bill C-69 legislation, formally known as the Impact Assessment act, align with and provide additional legal grounding for those same views shared by Suits and Boots members. The group started this campaign on January 17 to have him appear before the Senate committee. Earlier this week Mr. Roman received an invitation to testify on Tuesday, April 2 in Ottawa.

Peterson said that his group will be asking its members for personal anecdotes and perspectives about the importance of resource projects in their lives and how the delays and uncertainty caused by the current approvals process impacts them. This input will be collected, translated into both official languages, and presented to the Committee on April 9.

If it’s difficult now to get projects approved, as drafted Bill C-69 will make it effectively impossible,” Peterson said. “That will drive investment dollars out of Canada, stalling our economy and costing real Canadian jobs. On April 9, we will tell the personal stories of what that will mean for working Canadians.”

As drafted, Bill C-69 introduced numerous new requirements proposed projects would have to meet during their review, many of them unrelated to the project itself, and allows a Cabinet Minister to unilaterally cancel a project for political reasons even after years of expensive and time-consuming review. It is also poorly worded, opening up broad avenues for activists to launch delaying lawsuits opposing even the most responsible projects.

The Liberal government used its majority to quickly pass the bill through the House of Commons before last year’s summer break, sending it to the Senate for review before its implications could be understood.


The Senate indeed has the power to kill C-69,” said Peterson.

It’s used this power to kill or turn back more than 200 bills since Confederation, including bills the House sent to it in the past few decades on major issues like abortion, free trade, GST and greenhouse gas regulation. We are calling on them to again exercise their power of sober second thought.”



Suits and Boots was launched by six investment industry colleagues in April of 2018 with the mission of giving Canada’s resource sector workers a constructive voice in the decisions impacting their lives and livelihoods.

The organization has since grown to almost 3,700 members in more than 330 communities in every province and territory in Canada.

Suits and Boots has held rallies, confronted anti-Kinder Morgan protestors at Camp Cloud in Burnaby, launched its #KillBIllC69 campaign, flown banners over Parliament, produced a Kill the Bill C-69 song and will be testifying before the Senate Bill C69 Committee on April 9th in Calgary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more