Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- The issues with water and poor management of it, or of the natural systems that catch, clean and deliver it, are flowing into me with much greater frequency these days


The other day, I invited readers to think about, and maybe even share, something that you are thankful for.

I am inspired by the transformative power of gratitude. If practiced consistently, it begins to rewire our minds which absorb so much negativity each day.

It came to me as I was mid-morning walk that I did not share something I’m grateful for. Last week I got to walk in the rain! I’m thankful to be soaked by the cleansing rain!

SȽEMEW̱ is the word for rain in SENĆOŦEN, the W̱SÁNEĆ language. There is a beautiful story, passed down from one storyteller to the next, about the first man in W̱SÁNEĆ. He fell to the earth in the rain. His name was SȽEMEW̱.

You can hear the story in a short YouTube video and better understand our deep connection to water and the importance of water in the teachings of the W̱SÁNEĆ.

Flowing waters
The sacred bathing rituals connect us to the purifying creeks that are the earth’s circulatory system. For centuries they flowed freely from the highest places to the lowest.


Today many have been diverted, dammed and damaged.

For decades we have taken water for granted. However, in recent days with increasing droughts and the growing threat of climate change, we are reawakening to the need to reconnect with water and its life-giving force.

Many communities are desperate to protect and enhance their water supplies that have the devastation of the past century of poor management. We must not take water or SȽEMEW̱ for granted.

The issues with water and poor management of it, or of the natural systems that catch, clean and deliver it, are flowing into my email and constituency meetings with much greater frequency these days. Increasingly, I’m talking with my colleagues about water issues.

I think that will continue and the pressure will increase until we change our culture of assumed abundance with respect to water.


Adam Olsen ... is a Green Party Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Saanich North and the Islands.

Born in Victoria, BC in 1976, Adam has lived, worked and played his entire life on the Saanich Peninsula. He is a member of Tsartlip First Nation (W̱JOȽEȽP), where he and his wife, Emily, are raising their two children, Silas and Ella.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

All I can say is if that’s how maintaining a strong economy, and putting people first works, I’m not so sure those of us living in BC will be able to afford much more of it

Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology Today, Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology, had much to say following the release of Statistics Canada's February Labour Force Survey.  He did however miss a few stats that I'm sure he was hoping people wouldn't see – well I did: Bruce Ralston, “British Columbia maintains the strongest economy in the country, and we’re committed to continue working hard and putting people first"   BC Statistics / Statistics Canada ... average weekly earnings in British Columbia ranked behind Alberta ($1,148.45), Newfoundland and Labrador ($1,051.04), Ontario ($1,034.76) and Saskatchewan ($1,017.65).   Bruce Ralston, “Unemployment remained low at a rate of 4.5%. In fact, BC has led the country with the lowest unemployment rate for 18 months in a row. An additional 69,200 jobs were added in the past year — the vast majority being full time and in the private sector” BC Statistics / Statist...

Labels

Show more