Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

DAN ALBAS -- “Meaning well” and being “well intentioned” does not mean actual outcomes will unfold as hoped or intended

 


Last week, in the House of Commons, the NDP used their Opposition Day to table a motion that in the words of South Okanagan - West Kootenay NDP MP Richard Cannings:

“... called on the government to take the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action seriously.  It asked the government to finally fund the investigations that are needed to let us all know the truth. And it asked the government to stop fighting indigenous children in court.”


As MP Cannings went on to point out; “... that motion was passed unanimously in the House of Commons, though shamefully a few cabinet ministers abstained and the rest of the Cabinet, including the Prime Minister, didn’t even show up to vote.”


For the record I voted in support of this motion and participated in the emergency debate on this topic. During the debate one of the concerns that I shared is that we must be careful in Ottawa to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.


From the local Indigenous communities, I have heard from, many are still in shock and others are holding community meetings. I am told there are many discussions underway.


I should also add that none of the Indigenous communities within my riding expressed support or opposition to this NDP motion, nor has other guidance been offered at this point.


This in my view raises a concern, when elected officials in Ottawa debate and vote on a motion with very little input or consultation with Indigenous leaders. Some could rightfully call this an “Ottawa knows best approach”. I believe we must recognize that this approach has historically not served our country well.


On balance I supported this NDP motion as I believe the intentions were sincere. However, I also believe we must take great caution when moving on a motion without proper direction from those Indigenous communities who will be most impacted by decisions made in Ottawa.


Meaning well” and being “well intentioned” does not mean actual outcomes will unfold as hoped or intended. As Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently stated:

If it (true reconciliation) were only done by ministers, if it were only done by Ottawa, to solve these challenges, it might have been done long ago, but it would have been done wrong.”


My question this week:
While this NDP motion was well intended, do you believe Parliament should take greater caution in the future to receive direction and input from communities that will be impacted?

 

I can be reached at:
Email: Dan.Albas@parl.gc.ca
Toll Free: 1-800-665-8711

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PEATS: I am writing with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community

The following is a copy of a letter sent to me, which was sent to BC’s Minister of Health Adrian Dix. It is with regards to the impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic in Dawson Creek.   Dear Minister,   I am writing to you today with a critical concern regarding the imminent closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic, a vital healthcare facility in our community. The closure, scheduled for the summer of 2024, is a result of the utterly burdensome terms and conditions imposed by the bureaucratic Northern Health. As a result, Dawson Creek stands to lose four doctors who have made this city their home, and who wish to continue serving the people of our community.   The impending closure of the Eljen Medical Clinic is a significant blow to our city. Not only will it result in the loss of highly qualified and dedicated healthcare professionals, but it will also deprive thousands of Dawson Creek residents of access to their primary physicians. At a time when healthcare se

RCMP gag order comes after BC NDP catch heat for diverted safe supply (Northern Beat)

In the wake of several high-profile police drug seizures of suspected safer supply that put the BC NDP government on the defensive last month, BC RCMP “E” division issued a gag order on detachments, directing them to run all communications on “hot button” public safety issues through headquarters in the lead-up to the provincial election. “It is very clear we are in a pre-election time period and the topic of ‘public safety’ is very much an issue that governments and voters are discussing,” writes a senior RCMP communications official in an email dated Mar. 11 in what appears to have gone out to all BC RCMP detachments . . . . CLICK HERE for the full story

FORSETH -- AM I AN EXTREMIST?

  Am I an extremist … do I support an extremist party? I never thought so, but given the comments of BC Premier David Eby this week, perhaps I need to rethink that. In a Vancouver Sun story written by Vaughn Palmer ( David Eby shifting focus to soaring B.C. Conservatives as election nears ), Eby made several astonishing statements, or should I say, claims. First up … “ I have flagged repeatedly my concern about the growth of the extremist Conservative Party in BC ” Given that the GROWTH of the party, or any political party for that matter, comes from individuals supporting it, by extension Eby has called me, and others, extremists.   Second … “ poll is an important reminder certainly for anyone who has been quick to dismiss the BC Conservative Party as an extremist party that will not find traction in our province ” It seems to me, that the ONLY person who has been dismissing the Conservative Party of BC, has been the BC United (formerly BC Liberals) party leader Kevin

Labels

Show more