Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Richmond's Conservative MLAs call for leadership and clarity on property rights following Cowichan decision

Richmond-area MLAs Teresa Wat (Richmond-Bridgeport), Steve Kooner (Richmond-Queenborough), and Hon Chan (Richmond-Centre) are calling on Premier David Eby to take immediate action to restore confidence and clarity for homeowners and businesses following the Cowichan title decision, as Richmond residents await a critical City meeting on the issue on Tuesday, October 28.

Over the past week, many Richmond residents have opened letters from the City informing them that Aboriginal title has been declared on their land,” said Wat. “Imagine reading those words and wondering whether the home you worked your whole life to own is still truly yours. Homeowners are anxious, business owners are uncertain, and families are asking one simple question: What happens to us now? That question deserves a clear answer.”

Wat said the government’s slow and reactive approach has left communities like Richmond in fear and confusion. “It should not take a letter from a mayor to force the Premier to reassure British Columbians about the security of their homes. Leadership means anticipating uncertainty, not reacting to it. People deserve confidence that their property, their savings, and their futures are secure.”

This uncertainty threatens more than homeowners,” said Kooner, who is also the Attorney General critic. “It puts jobs, investments, and entire communities at risk. When confidence in property rights is shaken, everything else follows: from housing to industry to the economy itself. British Columbians need the Premier to act now and provide clarity that protects both property owners and the rule of law.”

Kooner added, "The Premier, when he was Attorney General, gave a directive to government lawyers not to argue aboriginal title extinguishment in regards to private property in the Cowichan Tribes case. Last week, the Premier told the media that he tried to serve notice of the Cowichan Tribes court case to my constituents, but the court didn't approve. Why couldn't this Premier mail a simple letter to warn Richmond-Queensborough of this court case?”

In Richmond, an industrial park that includes Coca-Cola, Canadian Tire, and Wayfair now sits on land declared under Aboriginal title,” added Chan. “Hundreds of people work there every day, and the uncertainty created by this ruling cannot last for years while appeals move through the courts. The Premier must take this issue seriously and refer the decision to the Supreme Court of Canada for a definitive ruling on whether Aboriginal title and private property can legally coexist.”

Wat also criticized the NDP MLA for Richmond-Steveston, Kelly Greene, who serves in cabinet but has not addressed her constituents' concerns. “When your community is in distress, silence is not an option. People expect leadership, not avoidance. My constituents are afraid and deserve to know where their elected representatives stand.”

As we approach the Richmond City meeting, we are united in calling on the Premier to act,” said Wat. “He must clearly state that no homeowner, business owner, or investor will lose their property or their rights because of this decision, and work with the federal government to ensure clarity comes quickly. British Columbians need reassurance, not hesitation.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more