Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

FELDSTED: Here today - gone tomorrow - Jody Wilson Raybould resigns from Federal Liberal Cabinet less that 24 hours after Justin Trudeau announces he has ‘confidence’ in her


Yesterday (February 11th), Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he has 'confidence' in Wilson-Raybould as Ethics Commissioner probes PMO over SNC-Lavalin --- today Veterans Affairs Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould is no longer part of the federal Liberal Cabinet.



CLICK HERE to read this mornings full letter of resignation to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, from Jody Wilson-Raybould



A CBC story yesterday, where Trudeau was speaking with reporters … after a funding announcement about housing in BC., Trudeau said he "welcomed" the ethics commissioner's examination of the allegations.  “This is an issue that has been much talked about over the last few days and I think it's important Canadians continue to have confidence in our system," Trudeau said.

The prime minister insisted again Monday he did not direct Wilson-Raybould to come to any particular conclusion on whether to direct the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) to sign an agreement with SNC-Lavalin.


We have reasonable confidence in our judicial system; no one is questioning the system. We do not have similar confidence in our government. We are questioning the government, and the answers so far are woefully inadequate.

Let’s get this straight – this is not about some threat to our nation that requires top level security clearances, and information shared on a need to know basis.  This is about criminal charges against a private corporation where senior officials have already pled guilty to bribery and to unlawful interference in a federal election.

Why would officials in the Prime Minister’s Office, and Privy Council Office, entertain lobbyists from SNC-Lavalin while the firm was under prosecution in federal court?

SNC-Lavalin was there to seek a plea bargain which could not happen without the agreement of the Attorney General. The guilty pleas indicate no plea bargain was made.

According to Trudeau: "I respect her (Jody Wilson Raybould) view that, due to privilege, she can't comment or add on matters recently before the media. I also highlight that we're bound by cabinet confidentiality.”

The Cabinet and Ministers of the Crown are responsible to Canadians. They have no mandate to keep secrets except in matters of national security. Cabinet confidentiality is designed to keep information out of the hands of the opposition parties but has no place, and should have no effect, in government accountability to the public.

The bottom line is that our government lacks the spine to tell SNC-Lavalin that it created the mess it is in -- and that our government will not entertain requests to plea bargain with alleged criminals.

It is in the national interest to see the courts sort it out and that the result stand as a stark warning to others planning to use bribery and political influence to win contracts.


John Feldsted
Political Consultant & Strategist
Winnipeg, Manitoba


FOOTNOTE … from CBC News:   
8:39am February 12th

Jody Wilson-Raybould — the former justice minister at the centre of claims that the Prime Minister's Office pressured her to help Quebec-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution — has resigned from cabinet.

She tweeted a link to her resignation letter this morning … "With a heavy heart I am writing to tender my resignation as the Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence," she wrote.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BC cannot regulate, redesign, and reinterpret its way to a stable forestry sector. Communities need clear rules, predictable timelines, and accountability for results.

Photo credit:  Atli Resources LP   BC’s Forestry Crisis Continues with Closure of Beaver Cove Chip Facility   As industry leaders, Indigenous partners, and contractors gather this week at the BC Natural Resources Forum in Prince George, the gap between government rhetoric and reality could not be clearer. Just hours after the Eby government once again touted reconciliation, certainty, and economic opportunity under DRIPA, Atli Chip Ltd, a company wholly owned by the ’Na̱mg̱is First Nation, announced it is managing the orderly closure of its Beaver Cove chip facility. The closure comes despite public tax dollars, repeated government announcements, and assurances that new policy frameworks would stabilize forestry employment and create long-term opportunity in rural and coastal British Columbia. “British Columbians are being told one story, while communities are living another,” said Ward Stamer, Critic for Forests. “This closure makes it clear that announcement...

Stamer: Hope for Forestry Completely Shattered After Another Provincial Review Driven by DRIPA

IMAGE CREDIT:  Provincial Forestry Advisory Council Conservative Critic for Forests Ward Stamer says the final report from the Provincial Forestry Advisory Council confirms the worst fears of forestry workers and communities; instead of addressing the real issues driving mill closures and job losses, the NDP has produced a report that ignores industry realities and doubles down on governance restructuring. Despite years of warnings from forestry workers, contractors, and industry organizations about permitting delays, regulatory costs, fibre access, and the failure of BC Timber Sales, the PFAC report offers no urgency, no timelines, and no concrete action to stop the ongoing decline of the sector. “ This report completely shatters any remaining hope that the government is serious about saving forestry ,” said Stamer.  “ We didn’t need another study to tell us what industry has been saying for years. While mills close and workers lose their livelihoods, the NDP is focused on re...

FORSETH – My question is, ‘How do we decide who is blue enough to be called a Conservative?’

How do we decide who’s blue enough to be a Conservative? AS OF TODAY (Friday January 30 th ), there are now eight individuals who have put their names forward to lead the Conservative Party of British Columbia. Having been involved with BC’s Conservatives since 2010, and having seen MANY ups and downs, having 8 people say “I want to lead the party” is to me, an incredible turn-around from the past. Sadly, however, it seems that our party cannot seem to shake what I, and others, call a purity test of ‘what is a Conservative’. And that seems to have already come to the forefront of the campaign by a couple of candidates. Let me just say as a Conservative Party of BC member, and as someone active in the party, that frustrates me to no end. Conservatives, more than any other political philosophy or belief, at least to me, seems to have the widest and broadest spectrum of ideals.   For the most part, they are anchored by these central thoughts --- smaller and less intru...

Labels

Show more