Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

PETERSON: All that is required, to stop a project from proceeding, is for the Minister to form an opinion that the proposed project would cause ‘unacceptable’ environmental effect


February 11, 2019:  Canada’s assessment process has survived perfectly well
Oil Sands Action supporters showing support at
Edmonton Oilers game on January 23rd
since the mid-1970’s without Ministers exercising such draconian power.”

Suits and Boots today called on Canada’s Senate to adopt 18 key amendments that it says are the next best thing to killing outright the proposed resource sector environmental assessment legislation.

In a post on the group’s website Suits and Boots founder Rick Peterson urged Canada’s Standing Senate Committee on , which began its review of Bill C-69 last week, to embrace recommendations put forward by independent, Toronto-based environmental assessment litigator Andrew Roman.

It’s been our position all along that C-69 should be killed,” said Peterson, “and it’s even more so the case after reading Mr. Roman’s final recommendations that were posted over the weekend”.

But it’s clear that the majority government in Ottawa is pulling out all stops to ram this legislation through both the Senate and the House before Parliament rises in June, and Mr. Roman himself believes there is not time in this Parliamentary sitting to address all the areas that need to be fixed”, stated Suits and Boots founder Rick Peterson.


He continued, “If that’s the case, his recommendations provide a clear, concise and the best possible path to mitigating the mess that both C-69 and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act have created for investment in Canada’s resource sectors. His 21-page summary of 18 recommended amendments, each supported with a Rationale for Amendment, is essentially an IKEA-like C-69 policy manual for the Senate.”

Mr. Roman has more than 45 years of experience in environmental, electricity, constitutional and competition issues. He has appeared before all levels of court in Canada including the Supreme Court, and has represented and advised federal, provincial and municipal governments, large and small corporations, environmental groups, First Nations and individuals.

Mr. Peterson said five comments in Mr. Roman’s paper are key in supporting the campaign to #KillBillC69 or at least amend it:

On the “draconian power” given to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change: “All that is required (to stop a project from proceeding) is for the Minister (Catherine McKenna) to form an opinion that the proposed project would cause ‘unacceptable’ environmental effect…. Canada’s assessment process has survived perfectly well since the mid-1970’s without Ministers exercising such draconian power.”


The politics of assessment hearings: The federal environmental assessment process “has recently become less expert, less science-based, more populist, political and polarized.”

On Gender Based Analysis: “Why this is relevant to a proposed pipeline is not self-evident…This is a policy, not a law, and as such cannot apply to a private sector program, initiative or service.”

How C-69 will put taxpayers at risk: “C-69 is likely to socialize pipeline projects so that only governments – in reality, taxpayers – will take on the cost and risk of proposing any kind of pipeline.”

The ambitious scope of C-69: “Don’t try to use the adversarial pipeline project assessment process to correct Canada’s and the planet’s environmental, social and political problems that bear little relationship to the proposed project.”

It’s clear that Mr. Roman’s testimony would be valuable to the Senate committee members,” said Mr. Peterson. “We’re urging our 3,500 members across Canada to phone and email the 14 Committee members and asking them to have both Mr. Roman as well as Suits and Boots testify before them in the weeks ahead.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interfor Moves Headquarters Out of BC as Forestry Crisis Continues

NDP policies are driving businesses out of B.C., and the forestry industry just suffered yet another calamity. Interfor, a BC company founded more than 60 years ago and now one of the world's largest lumber producers, is moving its headquarters from Burnaby, BC to Atlanta, Georgia. As BC’s forestry sector faces mill closures and mounting uncertainty, this move is another warning sign that the crisis is deepening and conditions are fatal. “This is the NDP’s record: endless job losses with no hope in sight for the forestry sector,” said Ward Stamer, Shadow Minister for Forestry. “Interfor still has three mills in BC which are now in serious jeopardy, and it is likely we will see even more companies pull out of BC. The NDP government is suffocating the forestry industry with high taxes, excessive regulations, and permitting delays, while DRIPA has made it impossible to plan for the future.” “Decisions like this are sadly not surprising given the NDP’s indifference if not hostility tow...

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

NDP Hypocritically Admits Natural Gas Power Was Needed All Along ~~ BC Conservatives

The NDP just got caught buying back the exact kind of power plant it spent years telling British Columbians they didn't need. The NDP government announced today that BC Hydro is purchasing the Island Generation natural gas facility in Campbell River, an admission that its electrification-only energy policy was never realistic. The 275-megawatt plant was originally privately owned yet kept to a minimal backup role under the NDP, operating just 15 days a year on average. Now, with demand outpacing what the NDP's plan can support, the government is spending taxpayer funds on the very gas capacity it once treated as obsolete. "You cannot electrify everything and pretend natural gas doesn't matter," said Larry Neufeld, Shadow Minister for Energy.  "Buying back a gas plant they once wrote off is proof their own plan couldn't keep the lights on. It's a step towards more energy reality, but the government needs to go further and scrap the impending province-w...

Labels

Show more